Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OPENING A NEW LQS, NEED COLOR HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opening-new-lqs-need-color-help-t49914.html)

pojo 06-16-2010 09:01 AM

Hi are you going to sell online too. So we can see what you offer. I live to far to stop in.

Boopers 06-16-2010 09:01 AM

I like clear crisp colors--Moda Marbles, Paint Box crystals,
Fairy Frost, and Fusions by Kauffman

Theresa 06-16-2010 09:01 AM

Other than colors (I like/love 'em all) am on a roll for quilting stencils. A variety of sizes is really nice. Need more easier ones. There is a GREAT difference in prices of those plastic things. I'm all for the cheaper ones!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 06-16-2010 09:01 AM

Good Luck with the New Store!!! Enjoy!!

sharon b 06-16-2010 09:02 AM

I like all colors really , depending on what I am making :wink: Just what you wanted to hear huh ? LOL

I have a hard time finding the blenders .

Good Luck to you :thumbup:

UglyCook 06-16-2010 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by merridancer
I am about to begin inventory purchases for my new store and I need to know what is your favorite color for quilting, least favorite color, and what is the hardest thing for you to find other than a long arm machine.

Thanks for you help !!! :D

Actually, I need help! LOL
When you are setting up your bolt labels, if you can possibly put the color on them, you would be like a gift from heaven for those of us who have "color deficiencies"!

kristananne 06-16-2010 09:04 AM

I'm having the HARDEST time finding aqua. I can find light blue, and I can find teal, but AQUA is elusive. LOL

I like to see a good selection of current designer stuff in the LQS. Heather Baily especially. :) It's disappointing to see new stuff online and then not being able to get it at the LQS. I'd rather support local than an online store.

My mom is always disappointed in the lack of precuts available in-store. I'd like to see precuts of solids (Moda Bella).

A lot of the LQS owners I've talked to at the big Houston Quilt Show say they can't stock enough of anything Texas related. Bluebonnets, western, etc. They say it sells very quickly (and these are people that own shops in other states).

QBeth 06-16-2010 09:04 AM

My favorite LQSs carry brights in oranges, yellows, etc. But, as pojo says, you'll get a wide range of likes & dislikes about colors. Other shops I've really liked are ones that have "sections" that accomodate Reproduction buffs, country, etc., in order to have something for everyone.

What is really hard to find, in fabric, even on line, is veggie-themed fabric; I've been looking lately for some and can only find 4 patterns or so. Also, Alex Anderson (Simply Quilts fame) stated once that polka dots can be hard to find.

last but not least, TOOLS and gadgets! For example, there's a pointer type tool called a Purple Thangy that I find invaluable when trying to catch the bobbin thread when I pull it to the top. I've only found two shops, one in Maine, the other in NH, that carry it -- very hard to find!

Best of luck with your shop! Good to hear new ones are coming along!

BellaBoo 06-16-2010 09:06 AM

I like to find many different fabric lines, not just one manufacturer's fabric lines. My color choices change too much to have one favorite. The most frustrating thing for me is to ask about a new notion or tool and get looked at like I'm the stupid one. If I as a customer knows about the new item then there is no excuse for the quilt shop owner/employee not to know about it. I'll shop elsewhere.

JanetM 06-16-2010 09:07 AM

Yikes, that is a tough question. I love all the colors so that isn't any help.

For me, my favorites and least favorites are more about the type of fabric. I love batiks, bright and jewel tone prints, florals, border prints, and the neutrals.

I'm not a big fan of 30's, civil war repo's, thimbleberries, and homespuns. But my likes are just mine. There are many, many quilters that love these types of fabric.

It's the same thing with patterns. I gravitate to the more modern contemporary patterns, but there are quilters devoted to the traditional ones.

Perhaps you could go to the other LQS's in your area to see what they are stocking, or maybe contact some of the local long arm quilters and ask them about what types/colors of quilts they are seeing.

I wish you every success in your new business. :wink: