Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   opinion please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-please-t251544.html)

cmputerdazed 08-09-2014 11:41 AM

Love this idea.

sewmini 08-09-2014 03:47 PM

Make a big beautiful light colored quilt to hang on the wall....use bright colors or make sunflowers.Of course have the walls painted a nice light color. Use fluorescent lights.

citruscountyquilter 08-09-2014 04:48 PM

We divide our time between two houses. In one house I have my sewing room at ground level with a big window and the room opens into the main part of the house. I can sew in there all day without a tv, radio or any distraction. In our other house my sewing room is in the basement. It is a large room with finished walls, ceiling and floor and a small window but I feel so isolated in there that I have a tv and radio just to remind me that there is a world out there. You might want to consider this when setting up your room.

Lori S 08-09-2014 04:57 PM

I have a basement sewing room . Lots of reasons I like it in the basement... I have lots more room. None of my bedrooms has as much space. I can make the biggest mess and its out of sight. I had tons of fluorescent lights put in so its it brighter than daylight. Its also cool in the summer, and in the winter I use a space heater to supplement. I do run a dehumidifier in the summer to keep the moisture to a minimum. One other consideration... the weight of the fabric is not a concern in the basement.
I do have a TV and radio so its not so silent. One thing I do wish I had done was put a handsink in , but I can still add that.

redquilter 08-09-2014 05:59 PM

I don't handle windowless spaces well. I have claustrophobia. My sewing room is an upstairs corner bedroom with 2 windows.

papagrandma12 08-10-2014 03:00 AM

My main sewing area is in my basement. It is big enough that on Mondays I have 5 other quilters come over and we quilt together. They can take their projects home with them or leave them for the next week. My area has carpeting on the floor, two small basement windows. I have lots of ceiling lights. During the week this is my quite area. I love my basement area!

nunnyJo 08-10-2014 03:30 AM

Who has a basement? ha, I'm in Fl.

nancyw 08-10-2014 03:36 AM

I have my fabric, books, and magazines in the basement and it causes me no problems. My basement is water proof and does not smell musty. I sew and iron in one room and have some fabrics and UFOs in there. I have my large cutting table in another bedroom and some boxes of fabric. Mostly kits. bought or made by me.

kyquiltlover1942 08-10-2014 04:06 AM

My studio is totally underground also. No windows. I did have extra ceiling lights put in and use the squiggly blubs in them. The ceiling is white and the walls are "reisling" a very pale green. White tile on the floor. has worked out great. allthough, I find I am taking more breaks to come upstairs to the sunlight. But then I am right back to my sewing machines.

institches33 08-10-2014 06:40 AM

My daughter had a galley kitchen without a window. We solved it by hanging a mirror in a window frame (check Home Goods or Hobby Lobby). A valance or side curtains could be added to the mirror. It's an illusion that has fooled a lot of people!