Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   opinion please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-please-t69465.html)

mzsooz 10-10-2010 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm wanting to get my "Chubby Chicks" quilt quilted so I can get it to my GD. My DD said she would like to tie it with yarn. That would be cute and she would get it much sooner but I'm worried about how well it will hold up not being quilted. Especially where all the seams meet in the pinwheels. Won't they start separating?

np3 10-10-2010 05:58 PM

That depends a lot on how many ties you make. I have done several quilts with yarn ties and they hold up very well. But you could have some bunching up of the batting if you leave the ties too far apart. I don't think the pinwheels will come apart.

Camiyamoto 10-10-2010 06:17 PM

Darling quilt! I've used embroider floss insead of yarn...

quiltingnonie 10-10-2010 06:18 PM

I read somewhere you aren't supposed to use ties for babies, in case one comes loose - possible choking hazard.
Also, are your chicks appliqued? An all over quilting would help to secure them.

Adorable quilt, by the way!

Jan in VA 10-10-2010 06:19 PM

Can you do both? Tie a couple in each chickie, like feathers, and machine in diagonals through the pinwheels 1/4" each side of the diagonal seam.
Jan in VA

dellareya 10-10-2010 06:55 PM

I've tied baby comforters for years. I use a baby weight yarn. I usually tie every 4 to 5 inches. I've never had a problem. I cut the yarn ends about 1 inch. The yarn will fray a little after a few washings. I also use a polyester high pile batting for tie comforters.
Years ago I called one of these blankets a quilt and was informed by the quilt teacher in front of the class that it was NOT a quilt, but a comforter. Yikes, 30 years later and I can still hear her say that in my head.

littlehud 10-10-2010 06:57 PM

I have heard not to tie baby quilts but the really old ones I've seen have all been tied. Guess they held up just fine. I can't believe anyone would not consider a tied quilt a quilt. She didn't know what she was talking about.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 10-10-2010 07:05 PM

That's adorable !!!! Saw one done the other day with little tacks of the theme, done on an applique machine, thought well how clever, cool looking too...
have used embroidery, or thick colored, didn't care for yarn, have had this fuzz

raedar63 10-11-2010 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
Years ago I called one of these blankets a quilt and was informed by the quilt teacher in front of the class that it was NOT a quilt, but a comforter. Yikes, 30 years later and I can still hear her say that in my head.

LOL,I know the feeling. I have only ever quilted one baby quilt, I still call all of the tied ones quilts,I do remember the first time I read that all this time I was not making "quilts"

kriscraft99 10-11-2010 02:06 AM

that quilt is absolutely precious - I honestly like quilted ones for babies since they require more washing