Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion on quilting using stenciles vs ruler templates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-quilting-using-stenciles-vs-ruler-templates-t304481.html)

Fabric Galore 05-03-2019 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie (Post 8247563)
I'm going to assume you're quilting on your domestic sewing machine and not a longarm.

On a domestic, you usually need a ruler foot to use rulers, and yes, you'll need to practice holding everything down and moving everything together at the same time. I didn't find it that hard, but depending on what kind of shank you have, low shank machines have issues with using the ruler behind the foot. If you have a Janome with Accufeed, on some, the Accufeed foot can also interfere with moving the ruler. You'll want to practice before trying it on your quilt.

I love marking stencils with Crayola Ultra Washable Markers. So cheap and so easy to wash out! Love, love, love them. I just finished marking another quilt with them and I've never had a problem with any of the colors washing out regardless of how long they've been on the quilt. Using a Pounce is faster, but some have had issues with the blue powder washing out. Also depends on what you're marking and what kind of stencil you have. Some stencils are purposely made to work with a pounce and instead of having an actual clean opening for marking, it's mesh for the powder to go through. I haven't tried marking with the Crayolas on that kind yet.

I definitely found it cheaper to start with stencils since the rulers are quite expensive. You're not "supposed" to use your cutting rulers for quilting because depending on the type of ruler foot you have, it's possible for the ruler to slip under your ruler foot and if your needle hits it while in motion, you can seriously damage your machine. However, that being said, I've done it on mine since my ruler foot glides, not hops, and I had it set low enough that there was no danger of it slipping under. The longarm rulers are usually 1/4in thick, and they do make specialty rulers for domestic machines that are 3/8in thick to slide under the low shank in the back but I do find those harder to find. I'd say the average ruler costs $20+ and stencils are usually $5+? Depends on how you want to do it.

I found it easiest in the beginning to mark a motif with a stencil, like a flower, and then use loops or meandering to travel to the next marked motif. That way, I didn't have to mark the *entire* quilt, and it was easier to manage moving the quilt inside the throat of the machine. If I'm marking something now, I still prefer to do it that way if I can.

I normally do free motion quilting but I also love to use stencils. Thanks for the tip about Crayola Ultra Washable Markers. They sound like the perfect solution.

Irishrose2 05-03-2019 05:07 PM

I marked a dark quilt with yellow chalk - it was very hard to remove. I've never marked another quilt. I usually just free 'hand' my work or draw on tissue paper with a red permanent marked. When I had multiple flowers to do, I drew one in black marker on a piece of paper, the quickly traced it on the tissue with the red marker. That way I only had to draw it once. I do practice my desired pattern on paper with pencil, then hang it above the machine.

Stitchnripper 05-03-2019 06:59 PM

I have used stencils and am still learning with the ruler foot and rulers on my Brother PQ1500. I got a westfalee foot and their starter ruler and have gotten another ruler too. I use the crayola thin point ultra washable markers with stencils or to draw a design and they always wash out, but, I also always test on scraps before I use them, just to be sure. It does take soap to wash them out, at least for me. I had a gray chalk that has never washed out no matter what I treated it with, but it was only on one part of something I hand quilted. And it is for me, so I just ignore it. I also use the disappearing pens with stencils if I am going to do something right away. I used a paper with a design printed on it, before I learned better techniques, and it worked, but not something I want to do on a regular basis.