Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion on this scrappy layout please.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-scrappy-layout-please-t152149.html)

watterstide 09-11-2011 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is going to be for a 9 year old girl..who is being bullied in school,over her weight. my son told me about her..she is his neighbors daughter...

so this is going to be a quick quilt.
i started with 1 yard of flannel (#7).."funny Babies" by Amy Bradley

then pulled the other fabrics to match...i think they match. i wasn't happy with the fabrics as they set..so i cut 1.5" white..to seperate some of the colors,make them pop.

there is polka dots,purple stripe,small flowers w/purple,pink,blue

the widest strip is cut 4" the smallest 1.5"

should i make the wider ones narrower?
any suggestions?

CarolinePaj 09-11-2011 12:56 PM

I think they are perfect colours for a young girl. What a wonderful thing you are doing.... this little one needs to be helped to feel special!

Hugs

merry 09-11-2011 12:59 PM

Very pretty & perfect colors; so very thoughtful of you.

sgardner 09-11-2011 01:03 PM

If you do those strip sets into tubes, you could make widths various sizes and do a bargello look to it. It would be a very special quilt for a very special lady (little girl). Tell her it's unique like her- the only one in the world. If you do the layout right, it could form a heart.

carmen garcia 09-11-2011 01:04 PM

It is so hard when other classmates do that to you. It can be so damaging throughout your life.

watterstide 09-11-2011 01:06 PM

i wonder if i should make it into a regular string quilt..you know, in a diamond pattern, on muslin. in which case,i need to cut the wider strips down.

it is so sad..she is chubby, and there is one boy who is being relentless. her mom has been to the school..no let up yet. jadyn needs our prayers.

watterstide 09-11-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by sgardner
If you do those strip sets into tubes, you could make widths various sizes and do a bargello look to it. It would be a very special quilt for a very special lady (little girl). Tell her it's unique like her- the only one in the world. If you do the layout right, it could form a heart.

swinging on by and show me how to lay it out..
utah is not that far from michigan!
:shock:

LLWinston44 09-11-2011 01:26 PM

That looks lovely. Makes me sad for her. My daughter also had weight problems. She started getting chubby and kept gaining and gaining. Finally at 13, I put us all on Weight Watchers. But the less she ate, and more she exercised, the more she GAINED!! I'm not kidding, she gained 5 lbs in a month. Finally went to the dic about it to learn she was insulin resistant. Most people have insulin levels no higher than 8, maybe 13 if you're pushing it. Hers were 45. Her body thought it didn't have insulin so it kept producing it, which then in turn made her body think it was starving so would produce more glucose, which turned into fat. When she dieted, it went into starvation overdrive.
With medication, she has been able to reduce her insulin levels, though they still range around 25.

QuiltE 09-11-2011 01:39 PM

How nice of you ... and how nice it will be for this young lady.
How about some lace for even more femininity? cotton eyelet yardage perhaps as one/some of the strips? or as a border?

Perhaps a nice ruffle for the outside edge?

Darlene 09-11-2011 01:45 PM

In MHO your lay out is perfect.