Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An opinion on using "chalk" for stenciling would be appreciated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-using-%22chalk%22-stenciling-would-appreciated-t147670.html)

malfromcessnock 08-24-2011 11:14 PM

Hi ladies, do any of you pounce with chalk dust when transferring a stencil for free motion work?

Does the chalk dust clog up the bobbin area?

and, how easy is it to get rid of the dust from the fabric once stippled?

Thanks for your help.

quilticing 08-25-2011 01:13 AM

Don't do much marking myself but it's supposed to be safe to use. I usually use a sharpened piece of regular chalk. The old-fashioned manual pencil/chalk sharpener works great.

ckcowl 08-25-2011 01:22 AM

i've used my pounce pad to mark stensils a few times- i don't mark much-
the chalk does not clog up anything- or stick to the needle or anything like that- it does however rub off-so it is kind of mark as you go- can't mark the whole quilt first
i prefer this method on darker fabrics where a stensil is used- much easier than trying to trace them- and it washes away (at least mine does- i think there are different kinds- i've never had a problem removing chalk....but test to be sure- hate those surprises.

Painiacs 08-25-2011 01:35 AM

I have one but haven't used it. Don't know where to get stencils. Don't know if I need special ones.

malfromcessnock 08-25-2011 01:35 AM

Thanks girls. Help for this newbie always appreciated!

malfromcessnock 08-25-2011 01:43 AM

No "special" stencils required. I live in Australia and they sell them at Spotlight. I attended a Craft Fair at the weekend and bought several - same as the ones I'd seen at Spotlight.
I haven't used them yet but want to be ready for some nice predetermined stippling when I've got my top done.
Still not sure if I'll use the chalk and pouncer I was sort of pressured into buying at the Craft Fair - kind of messy. I may just use a pen. I think that would suit me better.

raedar63 08-25-2011 03:45 AM

I love mine, ,I found I was using it wrong until I watched the vidieo by Leah Day of day style designs, the name is misleading ,you rub not pounce.If you catch onto it it is much faster than marking with the pen or piece of chalk. If you don't like it you can sell it here if you obide by the selling terms, I bought mine here :)

paulswalia 08-25-2011 03:46 AM

I've used it and it irons off easily. but I recently learned that that my Bernina Stitch Regulator "eye" gets clouded up with the dust from the chalk and it will affect the BSR. So I don't use it on a quilt I'm going to quilt by using my BSR.

taciage 08-25-2011 04:01 AM

I have used pounce and been fairly pleased with the results....but our local shop got in Frixion Gel pens...fine point, iron off and they work! The only downside discovered so far is that there's not a color that shows up on really dark fabric, so I'll keep my pounce for that.

hopetoquilt 08-25-2011 04:18 AM

I just ordered stencils from THE STENCIL COMPANY. Still waiting for delivery but they have an awesome selection.