Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions on Handi Quilter 16? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-handi-quilter-16-a-t181754.html)

shesews 03-05-2012 11:11 AM

Opinions on Handi Quilter 16?

I'm looking on line at the Handi Quilter 16. I haven't tried one in person. I'd sure appreciate hearing from folks who have one. I'm wondering if the sit down model is a good choice. Thanks so much.

Sadiemae 03-05-2012 11:18 AM

I don't know about the sit down model, but the HQ 16 is a great machine. HQ is also awesome with their customer support.

shesews 03-05-2012 12:20 PM

Appreciate your comments.

SuzyQ 03-05-2012 12:23 PM

I would suggest joining the yahoo group for the HQ sitdown and be sure to look at the pics. There is one member who does incredible thread painting with his machine. I'm a wannabe so I have no suggestions for you :-)

Suzy

ka9sdn 03-05-2012 01:08 PM

I had the HQ16 stand-up model and loved it so much I upgraded to the HQ18 Avante!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sit down would be great if you have less space available or cannot stand for long periods of time. HQ has great support--ask me how I kinow. I have investged in the prostitcher for mine and love it. I also do free motion but there are great patterns out there too. A local dealer is a great bonus but I get my help directly from HQ via the phone.

ckcowl 03-05-2012 01:30 PM

it is best to visit shows & dealers & try out (test drive) as many different machines you can get your hands on before choosing one- there are many to choose from and just like driving a car they are a large expense-investment- you want to get the one that (fits you) best- don't just buy one you read about on line-
you need to take into account service, tech support, set up, delivery, lots of things- it is best to find ones in person and try them out- most quilt shows have one or more set up for you to try out-dealers usually have demo ones set up-i've had an hq-16 for 8 years- i have a good relationship with my machine- i have a friend who had one- for 3 years- she managed to quilt 2 quilts on it in that 3 years- and was always upset-frustrated- unhappy with it--right up until she sold it- and lost about $5000 in the process....

joyce888 03-05-2012 01:51 PM

It's so good to see this thread and get all the opinions from owners. I will be attending a quilt show this weekend and HQ is what I'm interested in.

QuiltNama 03-05-2012 02:18 PM

I have the HQ16 stand up model and love it. Great customer service and a very easy machine to use.

AliKat 03-05-2012 06:56 PM

I have the regular HQ16 that I upgraded to include the ProStitcher and stuff. I love it.

I remember seeing the HQ Sweet 16 [sit down] years ago and someone had made a cradle for the quilt, so that it was somewhat suspended over the sitdown HQ and the the quilt didn't have any drag. It was a really neat set up and if I hadn't had my heart set on the HQ16 and gotten a good price on a used one, I would have considered it. I just e-mailed the person who is my source for this to see if it is still being made or if there is a pattern for it. If you PM me in a few days, I can let you know more.

ali

patski 03-05-2012 07:00 PM

Love it, I sold my long arm(took up so much space & my legs ached after standing for hours) I have the 16 and is a dream, just oil it and go go go. It is easy to learn and does a wonderful job.I haveeven done a kingsize quilt on it!