Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-please-t299863.html)

Tartan 09-28-2018 11:35 AM

Opinions please

1 Attachment(s)
The quilt top decided it wanted to be this size because I ran out of the big floral fabric. That's the trouble with working with bits and pieces. I thought a piano key border would look good but I am not so sure.[ATTACH=CONFIG]601813[/ATTACH]

Tartan 09-28-2018 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or a thin pink border before the piano keys and remove the pink piano keys ? Should I miter the piano key ends or do the sides up to the top? I am leaning towards not miters because I will have to put a join in the pink border to get it long enough. I think a straight join will be less noticable then a 45 especially if I quilt at the join?[ATTACH=CONFIG]601814[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 09-28-2018 12:03 PM

I like the piano key border, with or without the pink border.

SuziSew 09-28-2018 12:05 PM

I like it with the border to break it up some. The pink is good, but you could use almost any color in the quilt. Should look great!

roguequilter 09-28-2018 12:11 PM

i've used "piano keys" style of border a lot ...tho i didn't know it was called piano keys :o, i just thought it was a cool way to make a border using scraps from quilt. the option of thin pink inner border then outer piano key looks perfect. i would leave the pink out of the piano key ..too bright, competes too much imho.
love this quilt!!

...and i have preferred, in my quilts, the butted corners. i prefer mitered corners & in piano key style borders, miter looks ok, but the butted seems more suited to the keys style.
.....and ...one more thought. when i do butted corners of simple pieced borders like this, i ofter do a log cabin style ...upper horizontal (across) border goes from corner & butts into down (verticle) border to bottom corner etc. last joining corner is set in stitching, but i like the way it looks. sorta "walks" around the outside. borders are such fun! :D

JustAbitCrazy 09-28-2018 12:13 PM

I like the pink border and the piano keys afterwards. No opinion on the miter or not.

QuiltE 09-28-2018 12:25 PM

I like the pink with the mix of fabrics, to give it a bit of a lift.

However, to me, putting the pink border between the centre and the piano keys,
kind of chops it all up.

Putting it at the outer edge, would give a nice frame around the whole field of the quilt.

You could do it as an extra wide binding (should you have enough of the pink).

Iceblossom 09-28-2018 01:20 PM

I love the inner border with the pink removed from the piano keys. I think you can butt-joint the pieces, no miters necessary.

I'd probably bind with pink as well, but it might be a nice chance to bring out one of the other colors.

zozee 09-28-2018 01:22 PM

i prefer the pink border and piano keys, sans pink keys. (They draw too much attention to themselves.) I love the mixed batiks.

Jingle 09-28-2018 01:25 PM

I like the pink border then the piano key border.