Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-wanted-one-quilt-time-quilters-t280025.html)

ManiacQuilter2 06-30-2016 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For once in my life, I worked on one quilt only because I wanted to make sure it got done. It took me two weeks and I worked on nothing else. It felt like more of a chore and I didn't enjoy creating this quilt (pattern called New Leaves). I am going to stay away from HST and QST for a while. Just started sewing another strip tube quilt!

Mkotch 06-30-2016 02:21 AM

I guess I'm a bit of both. I have a lot of projects on the slow go, but I also sometimes focus on just one at a time. I keep a list of UFOs, and every now and then I pick one and just work on that one until it's done. Sometimes, I start and finish a new project before moving on with the others. In any event, finishing feels good.

Skhf 06-30-2016 03:04 AM

I too am not a "closer". There are just so many ideas in my head at any one time that I have a tendency to jump around. The actual quilting us the hardest part for me so that is the reason for the UFO. I am trying to learn to FMQ and lack the patience just to practice. I just finished a summer table runner and my goal is not to cut out any more quilt tops until I finish at least half of my UFO. S. Quilt tops serve no purpose unless they are quilted. 🤗

tkhooper 06-30-2016 03:19 AM

I once had 5 wardrobe boxes full of unfinished projects. It took me six years to finish them all. I made a goal that I wouldn't buy anything else unless it was to finish one of these projects. Now I limit myself to one project at a time. Something one of our members said was very useful. She said to design the quilt pattern that will go on the sandwich at the beginning so there wouldn't be a natural stopping point. Great idea for me. Especially because it may take me a couple of years to come up with a design.

So now I have a picture of the completed quilt and I don't want to stop until I get there.

Also knowing I have to complete this quilt before I start the next is a motivating factor.

And being a member of a 12 step program I also check to see if I'm not finishing because I'm afraid that it won't look as good as I imagine, or that someone may make an unfortunate comment.

There are some points in the process that are for me daunting and I have to push through those in order to finish.

For charity quilts I give myself a deadline so I have an idea when I want them finished. I decide kind of based on how long it takes me to do each piece. I'm usually working with a kit so it is iron top and backing 1 day, Sandwich 2 days, quilt two weeks, bind 5 days, put on label, clip threads and wash 1 day.

If I'm piecing all bets are off it takes me forever.

Karamarie 06-30-2016 04:00 AM

Jeanne S - I guess I am quilter like you. I like to finish a quilt before starting another. If I get to a stage of a quilt that I don't care for (sandwiching the quilt), I just plow thru it as the finish is so rewarding. I usually have some hand project going at all times for variety. We all are unique!

sinceresissy 06-30-2016 04:14 AM

I usually work on one quilt at a time. I get involved in the process. When starting a new project I can't wait to see how it will look and how it will all go. Then I hit the middle and sometimes I do get bogged down and slip another short project in. Once I get over the hump I want to finish and I am on a single minded track to get it finished. I usually sew in the evening. I may get ready for the next quilt by cutting my pieces in the day time. I always have another quilt ready to start when I finish the one I am working on. It is probably a little different since I sew by hand. I don't keep a large stash either. I am getting a build up of small scraps so I am going to start a scrap quilt for my next project. I have been cutting out 2-1/2 squares in the ready. I can sew them together mindlessly. Ha!

GrammaSue 06-30-2016 04:32 AM

Since I enjoy ALL aspects of quilting (pattern and fabric selection through handsewing the binding), I like to have quilts as various stages of completion. Therefore, I usually have four or five going at once and can work on whatever task I feel like doing that day. The majority of my WIPs are quilt tops waiting to go on the frame for quilting.

quilterpurpledog 06-30-2016 04:53 AM

I fall into the multiple project group. Not necessarily by choice. I belong to a guild and there are projects from time to time. They get started and put on hold until near due date because projects for a boutique group become more pressing. Then, a family event needs a quilt. They usually get done on time but it does get to be a juggling act sometimes. Also, there are the energy limits to contend with. I have great energy in the morning but it goes away through the day and I tend to not be very productive come evening.

SewHooked 06-30-2016 05:03 AM

I have found that working on a quilt for a while, and putting it down to work on another project, keeps all things fresh and exciting. You see different colorways, different patterns, different techniques by working on several projects at a time. There is one caveat, however; you MUST be organized and label your process well, such that when you pick up a project, you know EXACTLY where you are, what you're doing, and what your next step is. One of my quilts won People's Choice/Best of Show/Best Original Design. From start to finish it took a year to complete. When I hit a brick wall as I designed the quilt, I folded it up, and there it say for three months! Upon unwrapping it, I fell in love with it again, and the next step came immediately!

Roberta 06-30-2016 05:08 AM

I work on only one quilt at a time. I get easily distracted while quilting so perhaps I shouldn't have put my machine next to a window "oh look, a squirrel". I will look at that distraction for minutes at a time.

The way I force myself to finish one project before beginning the next is to have my next project lined up, pattern, fabric, etc. right where I can see it every day. That way I finish what I'm working on so I can begin the fun of the next project.