Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinions Wanted-swap gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinions-wanted-swap-gifts-t192296.html)

mdall 06-20-2012 08:57 AM

Opinions Wanted-swap gifts

Okay, so here I sit trying to put together a list to go shopping and I can't decide what to make. I know most of you have had this problem. Im wanting to make a bunch of small gifts up for swaps and cant decide what to make or should I just get something little from the store. I participate in several swap every month and always always run into this problem. I worry about will they like it, can they use it, etc.... I always want to make every person I swap with feel special with a little adding something. I usually worry about this so much I give myself a headache. I've done the usual, tissue holders, scissor cases, and even made my own stilettos. So, here I am asking. If you were to participate in a swap of any kind on here what would you like to see or what would you make as an extra. Please be honest. I know most of us one here are the same as me and anything would work but I also know we all have those little small things in our mind that we would love to have and just never do it for ourselves. So, help Im tired of stressing over it and it would just be so wonderful to have everyone opinions on this. Speak up because you never know when we may be in the same swap and you may just get what you have suggested.:)

TanyaL 06-20-2012 09:14 AM

Almost all of the little swap gifts I get I find are things I will never ever use and I give them to Goodwill. The thing I would most like would be bags to put my shoes in when I put my shoes inside my suitcase when I travel. Also bags made with tuille windows with seperate compartments for ear rings and necklaces. The ones I have are made entirely from satin. I like the idea of being able to see the jewelry, but still it is contained and easy to pack and handle in the suitcase.

mdall 06-20-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5303277)
Almost all of the little swap gifts I get I find are things I will never ever use and I give them to Goodwill. The thing I would most like would be bags to put my shoes in when I put my shoes inside my suitcase when I travel. Also bags made with tuille windows with seperate compartments for ear rings and necklaces. The ones I have are made entirely from satin. I like the idea of being able to see the jewelry, but still it is contained and easy to pack and handle in the suitcase.

Thanks for the honesty, those are excellent ideas unfortunately I am a newbie and dont think that I could pull off the jewelry bags but most definitely could do the shoe bags. Thanks for the idea. It's surely something that everyone can use since most of use have had to pack a bag at least once in our lives.

bearisgray 06-20-2012 09:29 AM

Someone gave me a 1.5 inch diameter pin cushion - it's perfect to put in one of the sections of the desk organizer thing to place the stray pins and needles in.

Some of the things I've received are in the 'thanks, but you really SHOULDN'T have' category.

Of the things I've received that I've enjoyed - note paper, grocery list tablet paper, measuring tapes, mugs, marking pencils.

SewExtremeSeams 06-20-2012 09:37 AM

"...and even made my own stilettos."

Wow, I participate in lots of swaps and would be thrilled with a stiletto, especially one that is made by the giver!!!

I always pack in a few Ghirardelli dark chocolates. I buy the pack of them that are individually foiled packed and put a few in. Someone from England recently included two spools of cotton thread which I found to work great for making yo yos with since it pulled the gathers so well.

This is a great thread though, that you have started. It is often hard to think of something special but not too expensive so we don't go broke participating in swaps. :D

Often, I have received nothing extra and it does not bother me. It is the fun of swapping and meeting new people that is the goal.

Tartan 06-20-2012 09:58 AM

The one thing that I find sewers rarely make for themselves is the thread catcher/pin cushion. I sewed for years before I finally did one for myself because I was working out a pattern. Boy, are they handy. I like to do the fake water bottle exchange myself. I have described it here before but I will do so again for those that may have missed it.
You take a bottled water and carefully peel off the label. You then use a knife to puncture the bottle over the sink and then cut the bottle neatly in half. You dry out the bottle well and insert a fat quarter of blue water fabric. You then use clear packing tape to reconnect the bottle halves and glue the label back over the join. The water bottle looks like it's still sealed but with a faux water in it. Makes a great gag gift.

mdall 06-20-2012 10:04 AM

Tartan, thanks for the idea or should I say the reminder. I did in fact see your post about the fake water bottle. I just havent found the right fabrics for it. Will most definely try it once I find the fabric though.

quilterlois 06-20-2012 02:21 PM

I received a 12" square of shelf liner. I love it under my foot-feed, no more feeling around with my foot for the foot-feed, it stays put. :)

mom-6 06-20-2012 02:34 PM

The little multi-compartment holders for whatever you want to put in them are great...either the little donut shaped plastic ones from the $ store for things like snaps, hooks & eyes, etc. or the handmade ones with pockets in whatever size you want to make them (kind of like a hanging shoe bag) that can be used for the bigger items like scissors, templates, etc.
Notepads, calendars, disappearing ink pen, tailor's chalk, finger pincushion are all ones I've enjoyed receiving, as well as others I can't think of at the moment. Haven't gotten anything I really didn't like.

edited to add:

Oh, and you can get the little organdy drawstring bags to use for jewelry in the bridal section of Walmart with the cake decorating stuff. I think they are sold as favor bags. Very handy for controlling the clutter in your jewelry box or for travel. And quite inexpensive as well.

Raggiemom 06-20-2012 02:39 PM

Thread catcher http://gigisquilts.blogspot.com/2011...ar-thread.html

Trash bag for car http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/07/ca...k-of-that.html

Cart caddy for coupons (couldn't get link to work today)

This site has all kinds of ideas. http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloads.php