Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opps.... I forogt a step! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opps-i-forogt-step-t113094.html)

Janet My 04-03-2011 05:36 AM

I've been in a rush to finish a baby quilt for April 10th. (I just started in on March 26th)

It's done, all I have to do now is make the binding and put it on.

It just hit me 10 minutes ago while reading the forum.

I FORGOT TO WASH THE TOP BEFORE I STARTED TO QUILT IT!

It has a lot of purple in it (Mothers request)... very bright... and since I used fat quarters, I didn't wash them before I started. I also have white in it. I did a rail fence pattern with 2 purples and one white. (The white has been washed before.)

I'm kicking myself around the block about now.

Wish me luck that it doesn't bleed when I wash it when it's all done.

Thanks for letting me vent. This whole quilting process is a never ending learning experience for me. Another lesson learned with this one. Never quilt in a rush!!!

Quilter7x 04-03-2011 05:38 AM

Use a few Color Catchers in the wash. They really do pick up extra dye in the wash to keep it from bleeding into your project. Good luck! :D

dakotamaid 04-03-2011 05:38 AM

Use a color catcher sheet in the wash. Shout makes them and you can find them in fabric stores or the grocery store in the laundry soap section.:)

We were typing at the same time.:)

sahm4605 04-03-2011 05:39 AM

throw those color catchers in and keep a bleach pen handy. unless the purple is a batik I think that you are probably safe from bleeding too much.

Calzo 04-03-2011 05:40 AM

Throw some Color Catchers in the washer with the quilt. They should trap any dye that runs from the darker colors.

jmabby 04-03-2011 07:35 AM

Good luck, stop kicking yourself.

CompulsiveQuilter 04-03-2011 07:56 AM

A question about color catchers: Do you have to use them repeatedly, for subsequent washings? Have many times do you have to wash with color catchers before being comfortable sending the gift?

jodimarie 04-03-2011 08:14 AM

It just hit me 10 minutes ago while reading the forum.

I FORGOT TO WASH THE TOP BEFORE I STARTED TO QUILT IT!

Wish me luck that it doesn't bleed when I wash it when it's all done.

IMO you should NEVER wash an unquilted top....you will have a thready mess on your hands!!!!! I have been a quilter for the better part of 40 years and never pre-wash my fabrics....knock on wood, I've never had a bleeder washing in cold water. I cut, piece, quilt, bind and THEN wash and dry..

jodi in leavenworth

Lori S 04-03-2011 08:27 AM

Do you have any scraps that you can test , to see if it is indeed a bleeder?

May in Jersey 04-03-2011 08:33 AM

Shout's color catcher comes like dryer sheets and you discard them after you use them. I usually use one when washing about 5-8 yards of fabric or a lap quilt.

I just picked up a color cather by Carbone and it's like a wash cloth that you use again and again. May in Jersey