Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Orange peel block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/orange-peel-block-t289908.html)

quiltlady1941 07-25-2017 09:53 AM

Orange peel block

When making this block would you use fusible interfacing and do the turn method and do some kind of stitch around it or use heat and bond lite and do a no turn method..When doing this no turn method do you still stitch around it?

Which do you think would be better and hold up with a lot of washing of the quilt. This will be a child's quilt so I am sure it will be in the wash a lot..Thank you

I watched a tutorial on the orange peel quilt by MSQC, she used a fusible interfacing on that one and stitched around it.

Jenny from the MSQC also had a quilt called Wall flower that use a orange peel template which looked nice and she used heat and bond lite, it was the same template for both quilts just a different method, I am sure you could use either method on both quilts. just wondering which would be best and more durable..

QuiltnNan 07-25-2017 10:55 AM

i'm not a big fan of raw edge applique, so i ten to use the turn method... mostly using freezer paper and liquid starch

nativetexan 07-25-2017 10:58 AM

well i'm about to make some with a 10 inch template. will probably get some light weight fusible and turn them and then stitch them to background. all in purple since i have some purples left over.

ckcowl 07-25-2017 01:31 PM

You still stitch around the appliqué when using fusible like heat n bond, it washes away when laundered. I've done them both ways, both ways work well & hold up. I stitch my appliqués with a small blanket stitch, have not had any problems with them fraying or coming off any of the dozens of kids quilts I've made. The interfacing method seems to add a little more bulk to the piece that you don't get with the fusible that wash away.

cathylynn 07-25-2017 02:09 PM

I used a fusible and did small blanket stitch around the applique. Looks good, no fraying.

jmoore 07-26-2017 02:12 AM

Like Cathylynn, I've used fusible but I cannot remember if I did a blanket or satin stitch...either way, I used a matching color thread and it turned out wonderfully...no fraying.

Mkotch 07-26-2017 02:39 AM

I prefer to turn the edges under and hand applique, but you could easily stitch them down by machine which would hold up better with repeated washing. If the peels are big enough, you could use ironable plastic to create a template to iron the edges over before stitching.

Mkotch 07-26-2017 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]577299[/ATTACH] here's a baby quilt I made this year using hand applique (but you could easily machine stitch). Blocks are 12" finished.

lindaschipper 07-26-2017 03:42 AM

I made a scrap orange peel a few years back and used a light weight interfacing and sewed around mine. Then, split the interfacing and ironed each peel flat. I pinned them to a block and did a machine blanket stitch around each one. It's one of my favorite lap quilts and is in the quest bedroom on the back of the chair.

Jennifer23 07-26-2017 07:43 AM

I would use the turned method - I think it would be more durable for a child's quilt than raw-edge fused.