Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ordering-bolt-hobbs-80-20-need-know-t256248.html)

ArchaicArcane 11-02-2014 04:14 PM

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

I'm going to be ordering a roll of this in the next week or so, and I am trying to figure out where to put it. I'm reasonably sure it's going to be suspended from the ceiling, so my 3 questions are...

1. What is the diameter of the roll once it's out of its packaging? I know some battings puff out a lot once they're sprung. I would be receiving a 120" roll, so I'm "assuming" that it's 60" wide and the photos online look like there's a cardboard tube in the middle.
  2. Any ideas on what the weight of the roll is? Most places don't seem to tell that, only shipping weight, or that it's "oversized". Depending on weight, I may rig a pulley system to help with raising and lowering so DH doesn't have to be involved every time.
  3. Lastly, my ceilings are probably 8ft after the drop ceiling is factored in, I'm 5'4", would it seem like a roll of batting was looming over me if it was suspended in the room I quilt in?

Daylesewblessed 11-02-2014 04:24 PM

My roll of 80/20 is nearly empty, so the only firm information I can give you is that the cardboard tube is 2" in diameter. I don't remember how big the roll was when it was full, but it was very cumbersome. I stored the roll in the guest bathroom's walk-in shower. I would not like to have it hanging from the ceiling, but I am 5' 11", so my situation is different from yours.

My recommendation would be to call customer service at Hobbs in Waco and ask about the dimensions and weight. I have not had a lot of need to visit with them, but when I have talked to them, they have been very helpful.

Dayle

Terri D. 11-02-2014 04:25 PM

Why not contact the Hobbs people and ask them?

nativetexan 11-02-2014 04:54 PM

some hubbies build a nice roller and hanger for their wives....... I bought a roll once but never again. I never got a hanging roller, sniff, sniff.

ArchaicArcane 11-02-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 6953927)
My roll of 80/20 is nearly empty, so the only firm information I can give you is that the cardboard tube is 2" in diameter. I don't remember how big the roll was when it was full, but it was very cumbersome. I stored the roll in the guest bathroom's walk-in shower. I would not like to have it hanging from the ceiling, but I am 5' 11", so my situation is different from yours.

My recommendation would be to call customer service at Hobbs in Waco and ask about the dimensions and weight. I have not had a lot of need to visit with them, but when I have talked to them, they have been very helpful.

Dayle

Dayle, that helps too! I know now the size of dowel to use.

I may call Hobbs tomorrow to get more info. I mostly thought people might have an idea, since I've see so many people here hang them and otherwise manhandle them around.

The reasoning behind hanging it for me is that I have so many back problems I don't want to be lugging it around. It's easier in theory to have it hung once then be able to pull from it than pick it up and carry it.

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6953929)
Why not contact the Hobbs people and ask them?

Mostly because it's Sunday and the curiosity after hours of looking at possible solutions was killing me. :)

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6953957)
some hubbies build a nice roller and hanger for their wives....... I bought a roll once but never again. I never got a hanging roller, sniff, sniff.

That's why I don't wait for DH. :thumbup: I build lots myself or enlist him to help. I have managed tons of hair brained ideas on my own over the years. :) There was a great one on Pinterest made entirely of PVC pipe and on wheels that DH thinks is perfect and won't become a casualty if I decide to rearrange the room again (though I don't know what he's talking about. Rearrange? I've only done that like a half dozen times in the last year.... )

quiltingcandy 11-02-2014 05:10 PM

I like having the roll because I just cut off what I need. Mine was is just kept in a corner of the room and moved from place to place, as needed. I would not like to hang it from the ceiling only because it would always be in one place and I like to move things around from time to time. Sorry I can't tell you the circumfrence, I use a different batting and my roll is not new.

Annaquilts 11-02-2014 05:20 PM

I store my roll in the attic or walk in closet.

LyndaOH 11-02-2014 05:54 PM

I don't know if every Hancock's Fabric has this, but the one near me has the niftiest batting holder. It's a piece of flat wood, I would say about 16" square, with wheels mounted on the bottom. It has a dowel mounted in the middle, which is where the batting goes. It moves around really easily and you can also tuck it away in a corner or closet. It's kind of like a vertical paper towel holder, except on wheels. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it may work well for you.

NJ Quilter 11-02-2014 06:02 PM

I just stand my roll in a corner. I hoist it up un the cutting table and chop off what i need. Not really that heavy but certainly can be a bit unwieldy, especially when new and full. Have a different brand so can't offer any info on size or weight.

momto5 11-02-2014 06:15 PM

I just bought a roll of 80/20, 120": it's about 18 inches in diameter and weighs about 25 lbs. or so. I had to call my grandson to take it in the house as it was too heavy for me to lift. If your ceilings are 8 ft., and the batting is 18 inches, it will leave you with "head room " of 6 1/2 feet if you hang it from the ceiling. Weight wise, I'm not sure whether a pulley system would work or not...Hope this helps a bit!