Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organising your sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organising-your-sewing-room-t60781.html)

vivientan 08-22-2010 10:31 AM

How do you organise your sewing room? As I have limited space at home, I could only use one of the desks in my study room for sewing, with fabrics and notions all stacked in baskets and boxes. I'm considering doing some renovations to my study room and have a little sewing corner set up. Hence, thinking about how I should go about doing it.

Great if you ladies could share photos of how your sewing room/corner looks like! :-)

NikkiLu 08-22-2010 10:38 AM

click on "search" above and type in sewing room and see what comes up

HTH - Hopt this helps

quilting Carol 08-22-2010 10:50 AM

I will post photo of mine in a day or two...

mhunt1717 08-22-2010 01:18 PM

Mine is currently being spruced up! Will post "afters."

sweet 08-22-2010 01:34 PM

I have been working on re-arranging the entire room and it sure can get a lot worse before it gets better. I know it will be better than before, but gheese it can be very hard to find something.

cheryl222 08-22-2010 02:40 PM

I just added some more pics to mine ( I think page 7) of the thread I started that shows storage.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59928-1.htm

ube quilting 08-22-2010 04:07 PM

I am very fortunate to have a huge studio now. There was a time when I did my sewing on the kitchen table. You learn to be real organized when there is limited space. What I did learn is that I don't like to put things in drawers or "away". All my sewing tools are stored in plain sight on shelving or hanging on the walls. If I don't see stuff I forget about it. My tools are no good to me out of sight. I also learned that keeping it simple is a good thing. I used to buy every new gadget that came down the pike. Over the years I gave them all away. I do like to store projects in clear plastic shoeboxes which I lable and include a copy of the pattern.They are easy to stack and store in a closet. I do have some under the bed boxes for larger projects but not deep ones, they are too big and heavy. Fabric is what I spend my money on now! Good luck setting up your space. Post pics whenever!

theoldgraymare 08-22-2010 05:04 PM

Believe me, you do not want to see what my "sewing room" looks like! Frightening...

vivientan 08-23-2010 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I am very fortunate to have a huge studio now. There was a time when I did my sewing on the kitchen table. You learn to be real organized when there is limited space. What I did learn is that I don't like to put things in drawers or "away". All my sewing tools are stored in plain sight on shelving or hanging on the walls. If I don't see stuff I forget about it. My tools are no good to me out of sight. I also learned that keeping it simple is a good thing. I used to buy every new gadget that came down the pike. Over the years I gave them all away. I do like to store projects in clear plastic shoeboxes which I lable and include a copy of the pattern.They are easy to stack and store in a closet. I do have some under the bed boxes for larger projects but not deep ones, they are too big and heavy. Fabric is what I spend my money on now! Good luck setting up your space. Post pics whenever!

Good for you! I'll never have my own sewing room, unless I move to a bigger apartment. So right now, I have to make do with the limited space I have in the study, which I'm fighting with my two girls. :lol: That's why, I hope to be able to do a good space planning and get the room done up by this year. Currently, I have to do my cutting of fabrics on the dining table.

vivientan 08-23-2010 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
Believe me, you do not want to see what my "sewing room" looks like! Frightening...

Well, having your own dedicated sewing room is still better than not having one! :-)

I've only been quilting for 3 years and having problems with storage. I can't imagine the kind of stash and "junk" I would have accumulated 10 years later! :-P