Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organizing patterns from magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-patterns-magazines-t106006.html)

Suzanne in VT 03-09-2011 04:06 AM

I understand the "out of control" thing *LOL*! I actually re-evaluated my subscriptions and ONLY get AP&Q now. There had to be an end to the madness. I'm 46 and will NEVER make all of these quilts in my lifetime.

Suzanne in VT

hheelleenn 03-09-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I would like to know as well. I have found that patterns that really appealed to me when I first started out, no longer do. And patterns that I didn't care for too much, now hold more appeal. Anyone else find this?
This make me hesitate to discard any of my magazines. Especially as I have stopped purchasing them due to the expense.

Yes, the very reason I WILL NOT throw them out.

emerald46 03-09-2011 04:34 AM

I too use the big binders with the plastic thingys to hold magazines. Sat down last year and thought about throwing them away but just couldn't do it. Love those old old Quilters' Newsletter magazines!

Vat 03-09-2011 04:57 AM

I use three (3) binders. You notice the s on binder. When I find something I love I either tear it out with all directions or I copy it and place it in my binders. Then get rid of the magazine. Saves lots of space. And occasionally I will go through them and discard things that I have changed my mind on like: "What was I thinking?". I refer to them all the time, they are so helpful.

granniegg 03-09-2011 04:58 AM

Can you scan and copy onto a cd. Think I'm going to try and maybe give my magazines to the local quilt guild for their library and have it all still available.

Midwestmary 03-09-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.

This method works well for me also - only difference is I have them sorted by type ie., stars, 9-patch etc

Scraps 03-09-2011 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.

I use the 3 ring method also - and the magazines are donated to our LQS - with or without removed pages - and the magazines are shared by many. Our LQS has a large basket where we can take any magazines for FREE.

vjengels 03-09-2011 05:24 AM

Is your husband upset because he thinks they're too messy???? I bought several of those cardboard magazine organizers.. you know the kind that you put the mags in & the back faces out? anyway,,, they look nice & clean, hold like 10 to 12 mags, generally you can put a little label on the front.. I flag the pattern using a write on tab store the mags by publisher & date, then you can look for a pettern without pulling every magazine out and going thru the whole thing ( although that's what I'm currently doing while my machines are in the shop)

Late Bloomer 03-09-2011 05:25 AM

What works for me is tearing out the patterns (have to remember to check for templates as I forgot a few) and stapling them together and putting them in folders labeled: bed quilts, wall quilts, runners, lap quilts, etc. then I put them in an upright crate and file them. Then I can go through them and eliminate some that are not workable, and file some possibles in another folder. I do not want to keep a lot of magazines on hand and this is a good wayto cull out what I do not want. I also keep the hints and helps in another folder.

chairjogger 03-09-2011 05:27 AM

Great topic! I will buy a magazine just for one pattern !

I wonder if color zeroxing the pattern and pitching the magazine.. but sure to note the magazine and publisihing info and date.

Good one here ! Fold out accordian folder with tabs of style,
I really like this post !

Thanks for making me think of another organizing way to help my clutter! Really trying !