Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organizing quilt fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-quilt-fabrics-t101327.html)

dilyn 02-21-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by frog90
I had seen this before and when seeing it again here I got to thinking. I got out my old two drawer file cabinet. Cut off the file part just up to the fold over part you know where it is glued on and has the little cutouts. This will keep most of the card stock off your fabric. I also took the card stock off to show all metal hang strip then you will have two hangers. I cut a strip of sewable bond the kind that is more like fabric than paper and ironed it on the metal strip this will not fall off like acid free paper and I would think it is acid free as it is sometime used as a fabric stiffener that you leave in when you sew. I also think you can use a fabric strip and spry tack it on.

also leaving on the small part of card stock on the top will let you leave some with nothing on them and keep the tabs in to mark what the fabric is for, you have 5 1/2 half yards together and one empty with the tab saying what you plan to use the 5 previous hanger filled bars. I guess you could even use a plastic file folder between projects with the pattern it it.

Hope this makes some sense to you all. I will try to post some pictures later of what I am talking about.

I'm lovin' all the extra ideas!

frog90 02-21-2011 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I am starting so you may see what I was talking about. I have not posted a picture yet so I hope this goes well.

Also that is my helper, she loves boxes

picture of file box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157286[/ATTACH]

picture of my helper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157287[/ATTACH]

AnnetteB 02-21-2011 11:43 AM

Oh my Goodness, what a great idea, I went to Office Depot and bought clear plastic file boxes that are stackable.By the way they are buy 2 get one free. I organized my projects including the fat quarters and book or instructions. I can see what fabric I have and can choose the colors without digging through a bag. Thanks:)

dilyn 02-21-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by frog90
Here is what I am starting so you may see what I was talking about. I have not posted a picture yet so I hope this goes well.

Also that is my helper, she loves boxes

The options are just endless aren't they? Love the kitty!

dilyn 02-21-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Peggyinno
What a clever idea :thumbup: I would NEVER have thought of that!!

Me neither! That's what I have such a smart sister for!!!

patski 02-21-2011 12:05 PM

I love it, never thought about it when I got rid of file cabinets!!

Grandma Peg 02-21-2011 12:15 PM

Looks great.

frog90 02-21-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnetteB
Oh my Goodness, what a great idea, I went to Office Depot and bought clear plastic file boxes that are stackable.By the way they are buy 2 get one free. I organized my projects including the fat quarters and book or instructions. I can see what fabric I have and can choose the colors without digging through a bag. Thanks:)

Well I guess it is off to Office Depot for printer ink and boxes.....thanks for the info.

Mar_ie 02-21-2011 12:23 PM

That is so clever ...

Quiltntime 02-21-2011 01:02 PM

Great idea! And, to think, I was going to get rid of the filing cabinet in my sewing room. :thumbup: