Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Organizing quilt patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/organizing-quilt-patterns-t141004.html)

sewmagic 07-28-2011 04:55 PM

How do you? I have a lot of quilt magazines, free pattern print outs.
Do you cut your magazines and keep just the patterns and how do you organize them? (Folder, zip locks, etc.)???

alikat110 07-28-2011 04:57 PM

Mine are in page protectors in binders and sorted by type...aplique, rotatry cut, holoday, etc....

debbieumphress 07-28-2011 04:59 PM

I use binders and use sleeves to put the patterns in then have index tabs for types, etc. I find them easier this way than in a magazine. I used to mark the magazine pages with address labels folded down so I could find it.
And I put Magaziner name and date in case I miss something. LOL.

crafty pat 07-28-2011 05:00 PM

I keep mine in folders. I cut out of magazines as I have no space to keep them all.

LyndaOH 07-28-2011 05:00 PM

I am in the process of doing this. I remove the pattern from the magazine, put it and any templates in a clear page protector and put it in a binder. I've divided mine only by type of item - quilt, wall hanging, bag, etc.

I do it in two parts. First I remove the pattern and put it in a pile, then in a week or so I go through the patterns again and usually end up realizing I don't want about half of them!

1234Irene 07-28-2011 05:02 PM

Great question....I will be watching this topic, as I need to make some heads or tails of my moms stuff.......I don't even know what all I inherited.

gigi10 07-28-2011 05:04 PM

I save them for a while, magazines, then I tear out what I just can't live without and put it in a page protector and a large 3 ring binder. Free patterns are just that free. If it something that really sets my britches to blazing, then I keep it and give it the same storage as before. My while is a year. If I have not looked for it in a yr, it has to get passed on. I also keep photos of colors that interest me. This could come from greeting cards, magazines like BHG or WD, FC. I treat these the same as the above. the colors are kept in another binder. I use it all the time to make color choices for quilts.

ontheriver 07-28-2011 05:05 PM

I put them in page protectors and then into binders. I try to keep a binder for different things, like one for baby, one for PPing, etc. Sometimes I keep the whole magazine if it has a lot of patterns I like, sometimes I just cut out the pattern I am interested in. Also, don't forget to add the tear out pattern pages if there are any.

gigi10 07-28-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I use binders and use sleeves to put the patterns in then have index tabs for types, etc. I find them easier this way than in a magazine. I used to mark the magazine pages with address labels folded down so I could find it.
And I put Magaziner name and date in case I miss something. LOL.

This is a good one thank you.

MelodyWB 07-28-2011 05:08 PM

I put them all in clear plastic folders..then into binders by types !!