Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   original design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/original-design-t263922.html)

Janekus 04-12-2015 10:28 AM

original design

When does a quilt become an original design or how many changes have to be made from a pattern to become an original design?

ckcowl 04-12-2015 10:45 AM

If it is recognized as a certain design from someone else it is not an original design. If you ( design) a quilt using someone else's pattern as a base you should acknowledge that, on the label and in Any/All on line postings/pictures state ( based on the pattern _------, by _--------) to avoid any questions/issues. To me its simply not an original if you use someone else's pattern. An original
Is made from scratch- with your own sketches ( computer design software if used) own ideas.... Your own design

Barb in Louisiana 04-12-2015 01:42 PM

I almost never make a quilt exactly as the pattern calls for. I would never call it an original design of mine because only a small part of it is new. Instead, I call them variations of xx xxxxx pattern by xxx xxxxxxx.

ManiacQuilter2 04-12-2015 03:05 PM

Unless it is some idea that has never been done before, now that is an original design. I tweak many quilt patterns to suit what I want to do but I never claim the final quilt an original pattern.

sewbizgirl 04-12-2015 03:44 PM

NO changes. Changes make it a variation or adaptation of something else... not original. An original design starts with an original thought. Something new.

joe'smom 04-12-2015 06:17 PM

I think an original design means that you've thought of/drafted/executed it entirely yourself, from scratch, without reference to any pattern. In other words, it came entirely out of your own head. A person might think they've come up with an original design, and later discover that it wasn't actually original (meaning, someone else had done something very similar before, unbeknownst to them).

FroggyinTexas 04-12-2015 06:48 PM

Oh, dear! Here we go on this subject again! Not your fault, but here is the deal as I see it. There are four patches, 9 patches, 16 patches and 36 patches. There are half square triangles and 1/4 square triangles. There are rectangles, squares, hexagons and other polygons. There are circles, ovals, half circles and arcs. There are as many appliques as there are tangible and imaginary plants and animals. Probably there are other geometric and artistic elements that I have missed. There must be infinite ways to combine these elements. If you buy a pattern and it is copyrighted, which it probably will be, and if you follow it exactly, give credit to the pattern maker for the instructions if it is a geometic quilt. However, remember that the pattern maker did not invent squares, circles, rectangles, etc. If you are using someone's original applique pattern--you traced it and then sewed it down as I intend to do tomorrow--give credit for the art work and the instructions. For goodness sake, everyone, quit worrying over someone's trying to copyright a 4 inch square, e.g. froggyintexas

NJ Quilter 04-12-2015 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas (Post 7162969)
Oh, dear! Here we go on this subject again! Not your fault, but here is the deal as I see it. There are four patches, 9 patches, 16 patches and 36 patches. There are half square triangles and 1/4 square triangles. There are rectangles, squares, hexagons and other polygons. There are circles, ovals, half circles and arcs. There are as many appliques as there are tangible and imaginary plants and animals. Probably there are other geometric and artistic elements that I have missed. There must be infinite ways to combine these elements. If you buy a pattern and it is copyrighted, which it probably will be, and if you follow it exactly, give credit to the pattern maker for the instructions if it is a geometic quilt. However, remember that the pattern maker did not invent squares, circles, rectangles, etc. If you are using someone's original applique pattern--you traced it and then sewed it down as I intend to do tomorrow--give credit for the art work and the instructions. For goodness sake, everyone, quit worrying over someone's trying to copyright a 4 inch square, e.g. froggyintexas

Not to get everyone in a tizzy but I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. There are infinite ways to incorporate all of these shapes/elements. My experience - tho limited - is that most of the blocks/elements that are 'original' are simply the designer's take on these various elements.

DresiArnaz 04-12-2015 09:25 PM

The pixelated heart I'm working on was from a google image of a pixelated heart. It wasn't a pattern-it looked like some kind of clip art. I used it just as a basis for figuring out how to place the squares.

Aside from that, it's mine. (or is it...)

Yooper32 04-14-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7162999)
Not to get everyone in a tizzy but I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. There are infinite ways to incorporate all of these shapes/elements. My experience - tho limited - is that most of the blocks/elements that are 'original' are simply the designer's take on these various elements.

My sentiments, exactly. (including Froggy's reply, in it's entirety.)