Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Orphan Blocks, Stash Busting & a Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/orphan-blocks-stash-busting-question-t156351.html)

Sunnie 09-27-2011 05:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The blue tote bag used up two orphan blocks...they came out the wrong size. The heart is modeled after someones avatar (can't locate her now) that just kept calling to me. So I was able to use up some small pieces from my scrap stash. Lots of fun to make.

Now the question. The heart came out larger than expected at 28" square. If I were to add another border to it would it be a good size for a baby quilt? Or what would you do with it.

katier825 09-27-2011 05:14 PM

I would think for a baby quilt, you'd want it about 36" square...they grow so fast! How about a scrappy border, then another solid border? Maybe a scrappy binding too?

May in Jersey 09-27-2011 05:17 PM

Good use of orphan blocks, the bag is really nice looking and something I'd use myself.

The heart block with another border or two would be just the right size for a new baby. I've made some about that size for grandnieces and grandnephews, and after the baby grew much larger their parents used the quilts in their cars as it was just the right size to wrap around the baby's car seats.
May in Jersey

gingerpie 09-27-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Good use of orphan blocks, the bag is really nice looking and something I'd use myself.

The heart block with another border or two would be just the right size for a new baby. I've made some about that size for grandnieces and grandnephews, and after the baby grew much larger their parents used the quilts in their cars as it was just the right size to wrap around the baby's car seats.
May in Jersey

ditto, love the colors in the blue tote

Jennifer22206 09-27-2011 05:27 PM

I think the heart one would be great for a baby. Add a scrappy border or two, and then I think you'd be good to go. :)

QuiltE 09-27-2011 05:33 PM

Great bag!

If you want to have some fun with the quilt, and know who it is for ... how about the baby's name in the border area? You could also include the other birth data, if wished.

redquilter 09-27-2011 05:34 PM

Yep - I agree with everyone.

Sunnie 09-27-2011 05:35 PM

Thanks all. I will see if I have enough left for a scrappy border + another border. I wasn't sure about the size for a baby quilt and I like the idea that it can be used in the car for when the baby gets bigger.

QuiltnNan 09-27-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I would think for a baby quilt, you'd want it about 36" square...they grow so fast! How about a scrappy border, then another solid border? Maybe a scrappy binding too?

that's what i was thinking. do you have some of the heart fabric left?

jme 09-27-2011 06:27 PM

I love that heart! The yellow is so cheerful! I would use it for a baby quilt anyday!