Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Other peoples' scraps ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/other-peoples-scraps-t234936.html)

SuzzyQ 11-17-2013 01:22 PM

Other peoples' scraps ...

Are gold to me.
So I make pet beds for the local vets and animal rescue. I've asked the local thrift shop and my fellow quilters to save their trimmings and bits that otherwise would be tossed in the trash. I will take anything as long as its washable. I have to sort through the bags of stuff to be sure that there is no paper or sharps. I find chunks of lovely fabric - one lady even gives me what she's sorted out of her stash - and lots that might just be considered pre-cuts. I spent yesterday - after I finished the pet beds from the previous collection, playing with what I'd found.
I've made 9 Christmas mug rugs from the Christmas trimmings and a stack of 4" blocks which had not sold at the thrift shop so they's been tossed - bag and all! I just have to pull the backing fabric from my stash. And I still have the time HST bits which make a pinwheel block about 3" square. My DD thinks I've got loco.
Will post pictures when I find my camera.

Nammie to 7 11-17-2013 01:27 PM

It's nice to hear that someone can use all those bits and pieces! I'm in the process of organizing my sewing room -- been ruler folding fabric for 3 days now. I will be taking some items to the guild meeting on Thursday -- what they don't want will go to the Boys Club Thrift Shop. I have a full garbage bag full of scraps, a bunch of baby fabric for sleepers, etc that I never got around to making (and no one in my family will be having any more babies) and at least a dozen projects I put in baggies and labeled -- Halloween vests, Christmas vests, witch dolls, Santa dolls, placemats and more. I feel good about weeding out some of my unwanted stuff and hope it finds a good home elsewhere -- hopefully someone else will use it!!

ptquilts 11-17-2013 01:50 PM

95% of my fabric is scraps that other quilters (commercial) saved for me. And some of those scraps are big - like FQ size or larger. Love scrappy quilts!!

Lori S 11-17-2013 02:25 PM

Loco???!!! Not in my book. Sometimes I think I have more affection for my scraps.. than my yardage.

annievee 11-17-2013 03:27 PM

I love scraps--adds variety to my stash. I save all my smaller scraps for senior citizen thrift store.

M.Elizabeth 11-17-2013 06:07 PM

Scraps, regardless of origin, make great quilts!

Pinkiris 11-17-2013 08:34 PM

When you make pet beds for animal shelters or vets, don't they come out lumpy if they're stuffed with scraps?

Jim 11-17-2013 08:50 PM

Its not scraps unless it's less than a two inch square in my book

oksewglad 11-17-2013 10:42 PM

Another "loco" person here. I'm told I need therapy only to reply "This is my therapy." as I thank them for their bags of scraps. Have over 500 9P blocks make from 1" strips and squares waiting to be turned into something lovely! Get that camera out and share some of your craziness!:)

justflyingin 11-18-2013 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 6410718)
Get that camera out and share some of your craziness!:)

Definitely! Please show us!