Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Other than hand or machine quilting, what have you done? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/other-than-hand-machine-quilting-what-have-you-done-t278840.html)

Butterfli19 05-21-2016 04:00 AM

Other than hand or machine quilting, what have you done?

Embroidery? Tie? Buttons? Nothing? I'm interested in new, fun ideas for putting a quilt together, other than machine or hand quilting. I have done a tiny bit of hand quilting using embroidery floss, and was wondering if any of you have used floss, buttons, ribbon ties, or some other method of keeping it together.

Please post if you've done something different!

nycquilter 05-21-2016 04:06 AM

I grew up with a mother who had "hands of gold." She taught me to knit by the time I was 4. I also did crewel embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, sewed clothing and most anything else that caught my attention, needlepoint (from petit point to 5 holes/inch with rug yarn), rug hooking, embroidery, counted cross stitch, crochet, and maybe something else before I came to quilting. Once bitten by the quilting bug, I have essentially done nothing else since about 1991!

quilterpurpledog 05-21-2016 04:21 AM

Your question is interesting. People can be very inventive. I saw something on an internet site a couple of weeks ago that I want to try. The quilt maker was fastening her quilt squares together with a couple of rows of crochet and the end product was very attractive. I made a copy of her pattern and want to give it a try.

Quiltngolfer 05-21-2016 05:33 AM

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to watch this one.

Boston1954 05-21-2016 05:36 AM

I first started out tying. I have also done machine applique. I love it.

I also used to do crewel, and cross stitch.

ManiacQuilter2 05-21-2016 07:30 AM

Nothing for me. I just quilt the traditional way.

tessagin 05-21-2016 07:35 AM

I saw that and it was beautiful. She did a blanket stitch and would use the spaces in between to crochet. It was beautiful and unique.

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 7555313)
Your question is interesting. People can be very inventive. I saw something on an internet site a couple of weeks ago that I want to try. The quilt maker was fastening her quilt squares together with a couple of rows of crochet and the end product was very attractive. I made a copy of her pattern and want to give it a try.

DOTTYMO 05-21-2016 07:35 AM

There was a quilt in the Birmingham quilt show a few years ago where the top was knitted squares. These were sewn together in the squares edges only.
I have also seen crochet edges on blocks which are joined together after using the quilt as you go method on the block.

Dolphyngyrl 05-21-2016 08:22 AM

you can use an embroidery machine which I plan to try next week. I have tied using floss. There is also quilt as you go

willferg 05-21-2016 08:28 AM

I've used buttons to tie the layers together and it turned out great. Looks nice, washes well, and does the job.