Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   our modern quilting tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-modern-quilting-tools-t190864.html)

tesspug 06-05-2012 09:45 AM

I used old X-ray film to make my templates. They had to be soaked in bleach first. One I had was an x-ray of a small child with an open safety pin lodged in the throat. I often wonder how that came out. ;)

QuiltnLady1 06-05-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Paula H (Post 5267214)
I originally used bicycle clamps for FMQ but then discovered the resulting roll made it much more difficult to maneuver on my regular sewing machine. I now use the "fluff and stuff" method and it's much easier. Just finished a queen size on my regular machine.

I used them as well -- that sausage is too cumbersome to move around.

ptquilts 06-05-2012 12:06 PM

I am of the old school, still use old fashioned quilting tools. My "rulers" are wooden yardsticks - I have a 1 ft, 2 ft, 3 ft. and 4 ft.

I think some of the new tools are kind of silly, that you see in catalogs. Do I really need to spend $16. for a little container to hold my snipped off thread ends? I thought that's what the floor was for. ;-)

GrannieAnnie 06-05-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 (Post 5266374)
I thought this was kinda funny. Last night my parents came up and i was showing mom how my cracked 16 inch ruler is now 3 different rulers. i showed her the eight and 1/2 square one and said it would be perfect for my rag quilts. she laughed and said remembered when i made your nephews their jean rag quilts? (oldest nephew is 29) i used one of their golden books - remember those? I thought about and how we always seems to find something that can be used around the house for quilting and we make do with what we have sometimes.

Been there, done that! Just not with a Golden Book!

vondae 06-05-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paula H (Post 5267214)
I originally used bicycle clamps for FMQ but then discovered the resulting roll made it much more difficult to maneuver on my regular sewing machine. I now use the "fluff and stuff" method and it's much easier. Just finished a queen size on my regular machine.

What is fluff & stuff?

Dolphyngyrl 06-05-2012 03:25 PM

All i have to say is thank god for technology, my first quilt was done by hand. if there weren't all these modern tools I would not be a quilter, still working on finishing my first by tying it almost 20 years later

BellaBoo 06-05-2012 08:17 PM

I don't live in an old fashioned world and don't want to. I love new quilting tools. Have you seen the new seam ripper? It's called the Seam Fix seam ripper. It's getting rave reviews from quilters.

stillclock 06-05-2012 08:58 PM

some the stuff (and the prices) crack me sideways.

the last time i stood transfixed before the wall of notions at my lqs, i was mystified by the $12 squares designed to help you pull the needle through the sandwich.

i use a square of an old rubber kitchen glove.

stuff like that isn't about progress or modernity or ease. it's about fools being parted with their money. soon-ish-ly.

aileen

afsgtwifey 06-05-2012 09:14 PM

I always have a pair of needle nose pliers on hand.... My favorite part of quilting is when the big name stores have sales and using my extra % off coupons to buy all the fun sometimes unnecessary notions!

Pickles 06-05-2012 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 5268334)
some the stuff (and the prices) crack me sideways.

the last time i stood transfixed before the wall of notions at my lqs, i was mystified by the $12 squares designed to help you pull the needle through the sandwich.

i use a square of an old rubber kitchen glove.

stuff like that isn't about progress or modernity or ease. it's about fools being parted with their money. soon-ish-ly.

aileen

LOL you have got that right :thumbup: