Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Outdoor flag or banner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/outdoor-flag-banner-t20447.html)

appliquequiltdesigns 05-22-2009 03:48 PM

What type of fabric would I use to make an outdoor flag or banner. The banner is going to be appliqued.

Janie

Moonpi 05-22-2009 03:59 PM

I used to make them with ripstop and nylon remnants, but I don't see that around in the stores where I live now.

Stitching4Fun 05-22-2009 04:31 PM

They do have fabric for flags. I got some a while back at Hancock Fabrics, never checked Joann's though.

quiltwoman 05-22-2009 05:14 PM

hart's fabrics used to carry nylon at a reasonable price--you'll have to search for the ripstop--based on the size you want, nylon will probably do for most of your projects as the ripstop is pretty expensive.

HTH,

butterflywing 05-25-2009 01:57 PM

i still see it at joann's sometimes. the ripstop. but not in every color.

did you know that the managers have access to the inventory in the warehouses? so, even if you don't see something, ask the manager if he can get it from the warehouse for you. they don't always want to be bothered, but they can do it. mine does it for me if it's something they have.

Tippy 05-25-2009 02:37 PM

I agree, I've made one or two out of ripstop nylon. Have found it in the past at a Hancock's and Minnesota Mills when they were around.

sewjoyce 05-25-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i still see it at joann's sometimes. the ripstop. but not in every color.

did you know that the managers have access to the inventory in the warehouses? so, even if you don't see something, ask the manager if he can get it from the warehouse for you. they don't always want to be bothered, but they can do it. mine does it for me if it's something they have.

I want to know how the heck you get that much cooperation from ANYONE who works at JoAnne's.....

butterflywing 05-25-2009 04:09 PM

sewjoyce.....

right?

i've said it a million times before: in my joann's the people are stupid, lazy slobs. the store is a pigpen. nothing is in stock or where it belongs. they insist that THEY DO NOT HAVE A BATHROOM. the books and mags are all bent and have been read. and the manager is unbelievable in his stupidity, in favor of the customer. he will insist that the big one is cheaper than the little one. DUH?

BUT ........ if you ask him to check the warehouse for you, he does it. i think he's just used to following orders from anybody.

my joann's is in a poor immigrant neighborhood where the people have no other shopping choice and the store can get away with everything.

kwhite 05-25-2009 04:21 PM

I have two Joann's within 1/2 hour of my house. The one here in Yeagertown is great and the girls are always helpful and courteous, but in State Coolege is another story. They are generally belittling and rude.

sewjoyce 05-25-2009 04:46 PM

My JoAnn's is located in a big commercial area. They became a "super" store and now no one knows where anything is, must less cares! I've heard that the workers have had their hours cut so much that most of them just put in an appearance and work the 3-4 hrs. per week! But that still doesn't excuse them from being rude to me and others...I've asked a couple of times if they could get something for me that was advertised but they didn't have and I've been told that they aren't allowed to do that unless they "special order" whatever for me and I pay extra!! Forget it!!:evil: :evil: