Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In over my head with quilts! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/over-my-head-quilts-t200075.html)

lynn_z 09-10-2012 09:29 PM

Go shopping at your favorite fabric store and I am sure you will find some really cute fabric to fall in love with. Since it's only a small a quilt, maybe you can finish it before you fall in love w/something else! If you're near Portland, go to Fabric Depot!

laralea 09-11-2012 04:38 AM

A woman after my own heart! I don't think I'm capable of doing just one project at a time! I would need years of therapy for that! Look at it as sort of a assembly line sewing. You'll have several finished at near the same time! After I finished up 8 charity quilts and delivered them, it took me about 2 weeks to have 5-6?? more going and I've finished 2 of the tops. When I'm actually sewing, I'm only working on one at a time, but there's a few? projects neatly? organized in the sewing room so that I keep all the parts for each one together.

Caswews 09-11-2012 05:41 AM

One quilt at a time and maybe get a helper to help you cut the patterns out ..

Jeanette Frantz 09-11-2012 07:29 AM

WOW, I can see I'm starting a bad habit. I have a quilt I need to assemble the blocks. They were embroidered by my 85 year old Aunt, who has alzheimers, and I have to put them together with sashing, borders, etc., then somehow get it quilted.

Then, I have an embroidered twin-size quilt, but this one I have to draw in the embroidery pattern using pencil drawings for models -- I hope I'll get this finished in my lifetime.LOL

Jeanette Frantz

fmhall2 09-11-2012 07:30 AM

I also have a problem, I have a list of about 20 quilts in some stage of completion. One I made the top in 2008 to be used as a picnic quilt - it is sandwiched and pined, but we haven't had a picnic yet. My problem is I love the creativeness of making the top, but I DO NOT enjoy the quilting, so I get that far and there they sit.

Wonnie 09-11-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5503862)
You sound like I do sometimes and when I sound like that, I don't get anything done. I usually get frustrated and end up leaving my sewing room. I have to put everything away and work on only ONE project at a time in order to be productive. I'm learning that right now. I haven't sewn in over a month. I was where you are and had to close up my room and walk away and take a break. Yesterday was the first time I actually went in there and ironed and cut for my Craftsy free Sept. BOM. I don't know what I'm going to do after I make my two blocks. I have to make a baby quilt and this is a present and has me all flustered because I don't work well under pressure, but I have to get in there and start on it. I was doing fine until my niece announced she was pregnant and her mom (my sister) made all the baby blankets for her kids until she died and now I need to step in and do it and I'm feeling no confidence, comparing myself to my older and wiser sister who quilted years more than me. But, my niece won't care if it's not perfect. And I think I do a pretty good job, but still, I'm kind of freaking out here knowing I'm stepping into some really big shoes. And it's only a baby blanket. My God. What is wrong with me? A whole month without quilting because of fear. I'm questioning my sanity right now. My niece will love having a baby blanket no matter what, just to have one is all she wants. This is her first baby and she didn't think she'd get a baby blanket since her mom died until I chimed in and said I'd do it, so why am I so lacking in confidence? Boy, am I writing in my diary? Oops! Just had to let this out, I guess. See where I am coming from?

Do something easy first. For the baby quilt why not just use a large panel and sew borders on it. Just cross hatch it on your sewing machine....OR....knot it...and, one done!

maviskw 09-11-2012 09:25 AM

Well ! ! !Jeanne, and I thought I wrote long posts! LOL I have so many quilts in different stages of development, I have lost count. People are giving me these things, and I just can't say no. I have 72 Dresden Plates that are almost ready to applique onto backgrounds and the circles are almost all turned with backing on. I have spent years thinking of how I will finish it off. Right now I'm thinking QSYG, with different flower prints on the back which are then seamed and folded over onto the front. Each Plate will be surrounded by a different flower pattern. I have several Pizza boxes of blocks from other people or that I made myself, that someday will make a quilt. My granddaughter's quilt even has her name on it. The thing that gets me going is Quilt Show. I have to get the class quilt finished, and then I have to decide which other ones I can work on. I need the pressure to get something done. The other things will get finished someday, if not by me, then by someone else. That's why I have each one in a "kit", so that anyone will be able to pick up that bag and finish it.

skothing 09-11-2012 03:58 PM

I wished I'd had done this earlier. I have so many in process that I have lost count.

beadywoman 09-11-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5503812)
Take a deep breath, take a sip of wine, and dive into the nearest heap of fabric. If you finish your quilt before your finish your wine you'll be fine. Otherwise be prepared to like wonky style :)

ROFL!! This comment made me giggle! As for the UFOs, I usually have several going at one time myself. One super challenging pattern, one that I get bored with, one that is just plain fun to do, and several BOMs. And then one can't foget the super quickie projects and the by special request items. Oh wow! My fabric stash is gettin low and I really need to surf the web for inspiration patterns cuz I don't have ENOUGH UFOs right now! LOL!

Face it - quilting is like Lay's potato chips. You can't just make one at a time!

Dee 09-11-2012 06:35 PM

I have several projects cut out, but I do whatever I feel for that day. All will get done in time. Its a hobby, not a factory. Anyway-this is my thinking.