Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Over Size Borders-Quilt-Then trim borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/over-size-borders-quilt-then-trim-borders-t307014.html)

Rhonda K 09-20-2019 08:20 AM

Over Size Borders-Quilt-Then trim borders

Another question relating to borders for you.

I am almost at the final piecing stages with the butterfly quilt. I have auditioned both 4 1/2 and 5 inch border widths. They both look nice. I can't decide which size to use even though it's only a half-inch! LOL!

Knowing that I like generous borders, I have cut the borders at 5 1/2 inch to make the 5 inch border. After quilting, I may cut down to 4 1/2 depending on how it looks on the over-all quilt design.

Have you ever over-sized borders and then trimmed them to size after quilting?

Iceblossom 09-20-2019 08:31 AM

Not after quilting, but I'm rather notorious for cutting/piecing/sewing on borders and then taking them off or trimming them down. They are (mostly) out of my stash now, but there have been many long skinny pieces of fabric given to others!

Your quilt/your happy place. You can decide at the last minute to trim it off if you are using an edge to edge type quilting design, or you can design a pattern to fit in the border and keep it larger.

Is going to be a great project, looking forward to seeing it as it progresses.

EasyPeezy 09-20-2019 09:14 AM

I haven't done it but apparently that's how a lot of quilters prepare their quilt
for shows. If you want an exact sized border you cut the border bigger, quilt
then trim to size.

eparys 09-20-2019 09:27 AM

I often do - especially if I have ample fabric.

cjsews 09-20-2019 10:16 AM

I have for 2 reasons. 1st when I have my quilt done by a LA. I know that as they are stretched on the frame they may get a little pull at points. This leaves me room to straighten the sides. 2nd is if I quilt myself. I will have a backing that is just enough it may end up a little short on one area. Then I trim to fit the shortage. It all works out in the end and I am the only one to know

Tartan 09-20-2019 01:30 PM

I almost always cut down my final border when I square up my quilts. A nice clean rotary cut edge makes for nice straight binding. If you are doing fancy quilting on your last border, it helps to put a chalk line where you think you may trim so you don’t cut off part of your quilting design.

cindi 09-20-2019 02:22 PM

Do it all the time.

Mitty 09-21-2019 05:16 AM

I've learned that I should always leave the edges of the quilt (whether it has borders or not) a little bigger and then cut it down afterwards, but I don't always remember to do it.

juliasb 09-21-2019 05:26 AM

I trim them before and even after I have quilted a boarder. It all depends on the quilting I am using. If I am fethering or have a distinct pattern that is quilted that will be off center trimming after quilting is a no-no. If I am stippling or something similar I feel safe to trim afterwards.

toverly 09-21-2019 06:12 AM

I quilt then cut, it seems to help with my waves. Almost every oversize border waves to me. No matter how I measure, she waves. Friendly quilting.