Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Overwhelmed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/overwhelmed-t147264.html)

Mrs Mike 08-23-2011 07:04 AM

I have a brother sewing machine and until yesterday I had a brother 780D embroidery machine, I loved both. I wanted a bigger screen on my embroidery so my husband and I went to the machine store to look and I was interested in the brother Duetta well in talking to the salesgirl she told me about this Babylock Ellisimo and a great deal they could give me with a trade in on my 780D. We took the deal and now I feel completely overwhelmed. Is it as overwhelming and complicated as it appears to be, I am so nervous about this and thought of cancelling the deal. I have only been making quilts for a little over a year and embroidering for less time. This was my husbands idea, he said to get the machine ( he said I deserve it) am I being foolish being so nervous about this.

Kehoeta 08-23-2011 07:09 AM

DEEP Breathe.... You are going to learn to love this machine.... Note... Learn..

It's ok - start with the basics - that's all you need to know right now..

Then- you can learn some of the other features as you either need them, or feel like playing with the machine.

We ALL deserve a FABULOUS sewing machine. ;)

Tink's Mom 08-23-2011 07:09 AM

I would talk to the dealer and see if they offer free lessons with your purchase...if so, take the lessons as soon as possible.
Things will be fine once you see how easy it is to learn the machine....you already have the knowledge of how to use an embroidery machine, you have just upgraded... :thumbup:

quiltsillysandi 08-23-2011 07:13 AM

With anything new, there's always a learning curve and I'm sure you will do fine...One step at a time....literally...:) Did you purchase it from a sewing machine store? Give them a call and see if there's free classes (most do offer a couple of classes to get you started when you first purchase a machine) and go from there..You are one lucky lady....I'm green with envy...lololol.... BUT, an embroidery machine is on my bucket list.....:) Relax, grab a cup, grab your manuals and go have fun with the new "lady" of the house.....

Sandi

PaperPrincess 08-23-2011 07:14 AM

If you bought it from a dealer, they should include lessons. I would take all they offer!

Mrs Mike 08-23-2011 07:22 AM

There are free lessons and I take my first one on one today.

Mrs Mike 08-23-2011 07:24 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I am sure I will learn to love it.

NanaCsews2 08-23-2011 07:26 AM

I can relate. I felt exactly the same way. Took DH on a road trip a few years back, and HE was the one who insisted I get my Babylock Ellegante. I wanted it soooo bad. On the drive home I was still thrilled that he would do this. I tell everyone I paid for it (which I did) and he made me do it (which he did). I couldn't touch the machine for days. I was scared to death of damaging something, it was so intimidating compared to the Brother machines I used before. Slowly I got into it with the book always at hand. Does everything so easily with a touch of a button. Now I love it! After literally blaming him many times for making me spend so much, I realized he was right. It has everything I need and want. You will love yours! I am thinking of upgrading too, and Babylock will always be my choice.

auntpatty 08-23-2011 07:50 AM

I had went from a Sears Kmore that I had bought and used for 25 years to a Jenome 6600. I t took me a little time but I love it now. You take a deep breath and go for it. It will become natural and a part of you.

lalaland 08-23-2011 07:54 AM

When I upgraded from a Brother PE150 to an 8500D, it sat in the box for months, I was afraid to take it out and when I finally did it sat for another couple of months because I was afraid to turn it on - so yes, you are as normal as the next guy!!

I did learn the machine and all it's functions but when I upgraded again to the Innovis the dealer offered classes - I was so relieved!! Have fun, you will love it I'm sure!