Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   owning a quilt shop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/owning-quilt-shop-t267999.html)

yngldy 07-26-2015 06:17 AM

How about a traveling quilt shop? I have seen a couple blogs (or articles) online about traveling quilt stores. It operates out of a trailer hooked to a vehicle. They go to quilt shows, guild meetings, give classes at a host home, etc. Kind of like a tupperware party. Sorry, I don't remember who they were.

CookyIN 07-26-2015 07:39 AM

I like yngldy's idea of a traveling quilt shop, especially since you're in a rural area. If that's not feasible, I'd try to brainstorm ways to get store traffic in addition to offering fabric and notions. Classes can bring in people; so can BOM's where each month they stop in for the next installment. Christmas Open Houses are always popular, as is a Christmas in July event to get a jump start on gift making. Finally, I'd open an online store to supplement your B&M; either on Etsy or eBay so you aren't totally reliant on your local shoppers.

willferg 07-26-2015 07:46 AM

I think it sounds great and that you should go for it. Maybe consider selling online as well as in your store to increase sales opportunities?

I met a young woman once who lived in a tourist town, and she rented bicycles to tourists and sold fabric from her shop. She only had lines from companies that didn't require too big a minimum purchase, and she mostly sold the styles she liked – mostly modern, cute stuff. Later, she shut it down and started selling used books. I thought it was great the way she put her passion to work in a business. I think if you are creative you can make anything work.

Sandygirl 07-26-2015 11:03 AM

First, I would work in a quilt shop before starting one. I would suggest that you go to the trade shows to get an idea of the costs of stocking a shop. And remember, everyone has their own taste in quilting fabric, etc. You have to market beyond 60 miles. Best of success!

sandy

Garden Gnome 07-26-2015 11:15 AM

What is the population in the 60 mile radius? Do you know the median income? Is it mostly retired people, or busy working families with small children?
No Wally Worlds in the area?
Having owned a business that was lots of fun and hard work, but little profit, I will tell you that it is very difficult to succeed in a small retail business in today's economy. If you don't need to make a profit, you may enjoy it. But since there are on line fabric stores that we know and trust, that hurts your chances even more. Even the most remote communities can have up to date merchandise shipped to their doorstep. My advice is to step back and proceed cautiously.

bearisgray 07-26-2015 11:18 AM

What is the economic status of your area?

If people are barely getting by - if that - buying at a LQS would not be a priority for most of the people in your area.

What are the demographics of your area?

Are the people in the acquiring or downsizing phases of their lives?

Casperscott 07-26-2015 11:55 AM

Start with an online store first.

Jeanne S 07-26-2015 01:07 PM

I think if you have the time, commitment and start up capital, go for it. As others have mentioned, online retailers will be your major competition, so be sure you can compete with them, and offer online selling too. Also, will you be able to find good employees to help you in your area? Buying inventory will be the easy part, keep qualified employees will be the harder part. Good luck to you!

Material Witness 07-26-2015 01:28 PM

I, for one, prefer to buy from real shops than online. The only thing I've thought of, from a customer perspective, is that when there is a shop hop, the ones that are far away from the majority sometimes don't make it onto my must-see list.

gale 07-26-2015 01:30 PM

There's one in our area (also rural) that tried twice to succeed. First with one owner, then it closed and was bought, then the 2nd owner. And neither one could keep it going. :( We're probably about 50 miles from a semi-decent LQS.