Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paducah CASH or CREDIT CARD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paducah-cash-credit-card-t117516.html)

maryb119 04-20-2011 03:50 PM

You can make a little poclet for your card and use Insulbrite in the middle. Insulbrite has a thin layer of metal that would protect your card from the info being stolen off the magnetic strip.

Lori S 04-20-2011 05:34 PM

Just a note : if you are with a group , it is easier to spot each other if you are wearing clothing that is bright or distinctive. There can be a sea of people and its easier to stay together if you can see or spot each other more readily through the crowd.

sewbizgirl 04-21-2011 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
You can make a little poclet for your card and use Insulbrite in the middle. Insulbrite has a thin layer of metal that would protect your card from the info being stolen off the magnetic strip.

My husband put a piece of tinfoil in his wallet, and carries his cards between it, so the magnetic strip can't be read. I tease him about making his tinfoil hat, next...

sweetana3 04-21-2011 02:49 AM

I take a blend of cash and credit. Mostly the cash is for meals and snacks at those odd places like the food stands and church meals. I have never had a vendor without credit card access.

This year I am taking a poncho that folds up and an umbrella. I remember the year we waited for a bus to pick us up across from the Rotary Show and it was pouring. Another year where Eleanor Burn's tent flooded. It is a season of lots of rain here in Indiana right now.

I need my purse due to asthma things so I take a smaller one that has a long leather strap that goes across my body and leaves both hands free.

Layer since it has been cold, hot, rainy, and dry in all the years I have gone.

Yooper32 04-21-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, a MUST, and clothes.

Maybe others have suggestions and will comment.

ROFLMAO, I can just picture comfortable shoes and NO clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I caught that too and had my morning laugh.

sandygoshorn 04-21-2011 03:06 AM

I've read all these blogs and sympathize. For years I've carried my cards in a little aluminum case to protect my information from the "SCANNERS" (the little device that can get your info. with a device no matter where you have it).
I suggest one of those.
If that is not feasible, get another card that has a "limit" on it. Say no more than $50 - $200. Then if you need more $$$, go online or call and transfer the funds you need. I use my "limit" card for on-line purchases and my name is NOT my full name, just the first two initials and a last name.
I was issued a new card about two months ago (debit card) and within a week, it had been compromised. It was from a site in the Netherlands.... The Netherlands???

sandygoshorn 04-21-2011 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by sandygoshorn
I've read all these blogs and sympathize. For years I've carried my cards in a little aluminum case to protect my information from the "SCANNERS" (the little device that can get your info. with a device no matter where you have it).
I suggest one of those.
If that is not feasible, get another card that has a "limit" on it. Say no more than $50 - $200. Then if you need more $$$, go online or call and transfer the funds you need. I use my "limit" card for on-line purchases and my name is NOT my full name, just the first two initials and a last name.
I was issued a new card about two months ago (debit card) and within a week, it had been compromised. It was from a site in the Netherlands.... The Netherlands???

knlsmith 04-21-2011 03:23 AM

Crime is not a huge issue there. I'm sure it happens, but never heard anything.

I take my debit card and cash. I think credit cards should be illegal and are a big part of consumer economic problems. I digress..

I use my card at places I know or have been to before and cash when I'm not sure or there's a huge line.

Oh, and I take my hubby aka pack mule, to carry everything. Pretty handy when I had 12 bolts of fabric and had to wait in line for 20 minutes. LOL

Don't forget the strawberry shortcake outside at the Boy Scouts tent! Mmmmmmmm tasty!

Vat 04-21-2011 03:38 AM

All the vendors I have dealt with take both. I have used both.

Ramona Byrd 04-21-2011 04:34 AM

[quote=costumegirl]You can get a card holder that is lined with a metallic substance that will protect you credit card that has a microchip in it. The metallic sleeve makes it impossible for any thief to use a card reader to steal your info as it blocks transmissions. Ask your bank about it - they are inexpensive to get and are really great to have to prevent any fraud.
--------------------------
Never heard of this but I suspect it's going to be the next necessity for shopping. And when I travel, I put an inside pocket in whatever jacket I'm wearing. If I can match the lining I'll put in a patch pocket, but unless I can find a match, I usually go for an hanging one.
For years it's irritated the heck out of me that mens' jackets all have inside pockets and womens' jackets don't, with very few exceptions. Wearing loose jackets, the pocket could be made to fall from just under the underside of the bra, and you would be sure to notice a pickpocket!!!