Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paducah this spring pointers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paducah-spring-pointers-t238838.html)

berryberry 01-14-2014 02:16 PM

Paducah this spring pointers

I maybe able to go to Paducah for 3 days during show time. I have never been to a AQS show nor to Paducah. Can those who have gone previous year/years give some pointers to a newbie/ first timer? I have seen the map on the AQS site.

Where to stay seems too late unless it's the 2015 show.
How about what in your opinion one must see/you can't miss?
How do you get around? Where to go at different times?

I want to see the quilt museum, Eleanor Burns, Hancocks and the Quilt in Day shop. Is that doable during show week in three days? Where can you get the best deals on fabric?

Please share your experiences.

lynnie 01-14-2014 02:29 PM

wish I was going,have a great time

BellaBoo 01-14-2014 03:54 PM

The trolly buses run all day to every place, even to Hancock's. I usually stay three days. I have my routine. I get there about noon, check in my room, then go to Quilt in a Day tent and barn sales. I stay there for several hours. Then it's off to the mall where many vendors are set up. Then to Hancocks as it stays open late. The second day I devote to the quilt show and vendors, quilt museum and historic downtown shops and $5 book sale warehouse. You can walk or ride a trolly. Third day I go to the rotary club's quilt exhibit and vendors, check out Quilt in a Day shop downtown, back to Hancock's to check sales and to chat with the porch people, and back to Quilt in a Day tents to catch Eleanor tent show if I didn't go the first day. I head home noon of the third day. I usually don't make reservations in Paducah because I drive. I stay in a near by town, there are lots of small town around Paducah.

judy363905 01-14-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6512836)
The trolly buses run all day to every place, even to Hancock's. I usually stay three days. I have my routine. I get there about noon, check in my room, then go to Quilt in a Day tent and barn sales. I stay there for several hours. Then it's off to the mall where many vendors are set up. Then to Hancocks as it stays open late. The second day I devote to the quilt show and vendors, quilt museum and historic downtown shops and $5 book sale warehouse. You can walk or ride a trolly. Third day I go to the rotary club's quilt exhibit and vendors, check out Quilt in a Day shop downtown, back to Hancock's to check sales and to chat with the porch people, and back to Quilt in a Day tents to catch Eleanor tent show if I didn't go the first day. I head home noon of the third day. I usually don't make reservations in Paducah because I drive. I stay in a near by town, there are lots of small town around Paducah.

You have that down "pat" so to speak..have you thought of being a guide and getting a group together...I am sure people would pay for your services. Just a thought that crossed my mind when I read your post. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

cjsews 01-14-2014 04:54 PM

Sounds like Judy In phx has it all down. I just go up for a day. The downtown area is within walking distance of the quilt show. I tried the trolley one time. They stick to the regular route and took a long time to get where I wanted to be. This was before I realized how close downtown was. Shuttle busses run throughout most of the town. Paducah residents really do it up right for us visitors during AQS week. If you have never been to a show, it is quite overwhelming. Make a list of things you really want to look for. It may be the second or third day before you realize what you forgot. Enjoy your trip.

Petalpatsy 01-14-2014 06:04 PM

I live three hours from Paducah, and I've been several times but just for a day trips. I always just stick to the main exhibits and what little booths are right next to them. I live very close to Franklin TN and Stitcher's Garden is all the fabric anybody would ever need, so much so that Hancock's did not impress me. Be sure to take a well charged camera, and an extra well-charged battery, and take lots of pictures. You can shop lots of places, but you'll never see these fabulous art quilts anywhere else, or ever again. Wear your most comfortable shoes. Be sure to stop by TJ Lane's silver thimble booth.

BellaBoo 01-14-2014 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 6512862)
You have that down "pat" so to speak..have you thought of being a guide and getting a group together...I am sure people would pay for your services. Just a thought that crossed my mind when I read your post. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

I go to Paducah alone. I don't like people with me at the quilt show. I have to be polite and say are you tired/hungry/bored/want to move on/go back to the room/. No, my Paducah time is my time all to myself. If I want to go to Eleanor Burns tent show one time or four times I don't want anyone asking me why. I'm very selfish with my time at a quilt show.

maminstl 01-14-2014 07:23 PM

I went for the first time last year, and by myself - Arrived on Thursday and spent all afternoon just looking around. That was the best time to really see all the quilts, as the floor gets much busier on Friday. I went back on Friday to buy things and try to look at the quilts again but it got really crowded (did not buy fabric though - no bargains at the show). Had time on Friday to explore the shops in town. Friday evening went to the mall and bought comfortable shoes:) I'm going again this year and will probably go to one of the Eleanor Burns shows. I will skip the fabric shops in town as I would rather buy locally or on the internet, and the atmosphere is too crazy for me to make good choices. The show is great to see demos of special tools and rulers. You will see some tempting stuff, but if you have internet access, check them out before you buy. Some things had enough negative feedback that made me come to my senses before I spent too much money. Other things were less expensive on line that they were at the show.
Saturday morning went to the museum - it's fantastic - when it first opened up and just about had the place to myself - of course it was raining so that probably kept a lot of people from showing up too early. On my way out of town I stopped by Hancocks and one other location that had a local quilt show and more vendor booths where I did break down and buy some hand dyed fabric. Can't wait to go back!

Pagzz 01-14-2014 08:18 PM

I haven't been to Paducah since 2007 but the best prices on fabric used to be Eleanor Burn's tents out at the fairgrounds.

toverly 01-15-2014 04:56 AM

Bella Boo, you have the right idea. I find that even in small shows, that I'm happier on my own schedule. I'm a scanner and just don't need to spend endless hours in a shop or show. Love your schedule/routine. Sounds great. One of these days, I'll get to go.