Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paducah ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paducah-t209535.html)

kathbug 12-29-2012 09:00 AM

Paducah ?

Ok so Paducah seems to win for quilt fest but know another question. This is the first fest, I am new to quilting and a lot of what I see as far as know quilters I do not know. Do you think I should start with a smaller show like Cinn. Or Columbus if so which do you think is better. I live 2 hrs from Columbus and 3 1/2 hrs from Cinn. I appreciate all of your help. Since my DH is also going with me I don't want this to the blind leading the blind so to speak and want to make the beat of this Christmas gift from him. l

BellaBoo 12-29-2012 09:10 AM

Go to all of them if you can. You will love Paducah Quilt Show. Much more then just looking at quilts there. The whole town is for quilters during the show week. Your DH will enjoy Paducah as much as you, he can be at one part of town and you in another. The shuttle buses makes it easy to get around but it's just as easy to drive in the town. No big traffic hassles.

inspectorcmm 12-29-2012 09:17 AM

I started out quilt show hoping by googling quilt shows and going to ones in my area. I will be going to the Padukah for the first time this spring and looking forward to it. Hotels are hard to find already so do your research before you go.

AliKat 12-29-2012 10:18 AM

Gads, by all means go if you can. There is no need to 'work your way up to' the bigger shows. It will inspire you more than the smaller shows. You can meet lots of quilters of varying expertise and just plain 'ol have fun. Take a camera or extra photo capacity for your phone if needed.

I am glad I went when I did because I walked all over Paducah and now that wouldn't happen so much. I wore out socks with all the walking I did. Yes, there are the free buses but the weather was great and I was with another adventurous soul,so we enjoyed the walking and talking.

Our motel was out by the mall on the outside of town. So we could even walk and see the quilts displayed there. Our motel was a Drury Inn, I think, and breakfast and a managers special in the p.m. were included. We were right on the bus route too.

There was time to rest on the flight home.

Am glad I went.

DogHouseMom 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

As AliKat said ... there is no need to 'work yourself up' to a larger show. Jump right in ... the water is lovely!!

Paducah also has the quilt museum ... a MUST SEE.

BUT ... if you haven't made hotel reservations for Paducah yet, good luck getting a room. I went with only a month or so notice and was lucky (due to a cancellation) to get a room 45 minutes away in Marion Il. It was a nice drive, all interstate and very pretty country, but I would have preferred to be closer.

I haven't been to Cincinnati but that show used to be held in Chicago and I went to that one and it was also plenty big. But everything was at the show. In Paducah you also have other quilt places to visit - the museum, Hancocks of Paducah (if you are building a stash - don't miss that place and be sure to check out the pre-cut table with $4.00 batiks and the 'back room' with pre-cuts at great prices), Eleanor Burns (both the store and her tent sale), and a few other places. When I went there was a place across from the museum in an old factory that had WOW and BOW fabrics for $3.00/yard ... I bought something like 25 yards!!

Go to Paducah. Bring lots of cash :)

Jackie Spencer 12-29-2012 01:52 PM

You will love Paducah. I used to go every year with my Guild, we would charter a bus. So much to see, and quilts everywhere. Lots of Merchants in the Merchant Mall and you don't want to miss Eleanore Burns shop, she always has the greatest sales. If I could only go to one this would be my pick!!

intoquilting 12-29-2012 02:07 PM

Take your husband and go to Paducah. Like everyone has said, it is a great show with lots of other interesting things to see. Make sure you go to the wall.