Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paducah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paducah-t243183.html)

PAKate 03-14-2014 07:57 AM

Paducah

My 2 friends from Raleigh and I (from PA) have all retired within the past year and are planning a retirement celebration for ourselves by going to the AQS Quilt Show in Paducah, KY in April. We are driving, so there will be lots of bonding time. This is out first time at the show. Looking for comments and tips from people who have already been there. Thanks for sharing.

MaryMo 03-14-2014 08:01 AM

I envy you all ... have lots of fun!

Doggramma 03-14-2014 10:35 AM

Have fun! What a nice trip! There are Welcome Quilters signs all over town. So welcoming. Of course you need to check out Hancocks and the museum. There are quilty things all over downtown too. If you get a chance there's a good bbq place out on Clarks River Rd called Harned's. It's like the old drive-ins where you eat in your car. I wish I was going! It's been a couple years for me. I've been trying some of the other AQS shows around the country for a change of pace. And expect a lot of people! But it's quilters so it's so much fun!

Nammie to 7 03-14-2014 01:59 PM

You will have so much fun! I've never been there but hear so many good things about it. A friend and I are making a road trip to Denver the end of next month. We will shop hop all the way there and spend 4-5 days going to different shops. Let us know what you do, where you stay and how much fun you had!

maminstl 03-14-2014 04:26 PM

I went for the first time as a new quilter last year. Live in St. Louis, so it's an easy drive for me. I had a blast all by myself. The show quilts are just outstanding, and it is so much fun to watch all the demo's. I'm going again this year and taking a friend with me. I can't wait for her to see it all - and do not skip the museum. It is awesome.

calla 03-14-2014 04:28 PM

Comfortable shoes, a back pack, and no big purses................calla

Norva 03-14-2014 07:04 PM

If you don't already have accommodations reserved - better get started. Places fill up fast for miles around. You will have a wonderful time - it is such a great show and Paducah is a great place to visit. Went with my sisters a few years ago - what a great trip.

Sandygirl 03-15-2014 03:06 AM

Search this board for other threads about the show.

you will likely have to find lodging miles from Paducah. Too late now.
sandy

gilbert5 03-15-2014 03:46 AM

Have you gotten a place to stay yet? If not, you might not find anywhere within 50 miles. Speaking from experience.

joyce888 03-15-2014 04:01 AM

Don't be afraid to go down allies and check out pop-up vendors selling in temporary stores. I went for the first time last year and plan on going this year. I found some of the best deals (and very good fabric) in some of those places. Be sure the check out Eleanor Burns store for daily deals; last year she had sales by color (ex. Any fabric with pink was on sale for x amount for one day).