Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Painted Quilt Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/painted-quilt-blocks-t219729.html)

buslady 04-22-2013 08:10 AM

Painted Quilt Blocks

I am going to paint a quilt block on the side of my shed. I'm thinking a big gold and yellow Mariners Compass. Anyone do this? Any tips? We just moved to a park on the lake and I have a 10x10 shed that needs painted. I am also going to put a little garden right in back of the shed, which is the side that will get the quilt. If all goes good, I might just do squares all the way around.

nygal 04-22-2013 08:31 AM

Sounds good to me!! Post pictures when it's done!

crafty pat 04-22-2013 08:36 AM

Great idea. Be waiting to see your work.

Nammie to 7 04-22-2013 11:07 AM

That will certainly brighten up the whole area! Sounds like you have a good plan.

Tartan 04-22-2013 12:23 PM

That "Frog" painter's tape looks good in the commercials. It is supposed to prevent any bleeding under the tape. I would buy a roll to mark off my sections and go for it!

buslady 04-23-2013 09:13 AM

Thank you for that suggestion. My biggest worry is that there are ridges in the wood and I don't want that to make the blocks look "wonkey". Still looking for suggestions/tips. Thank you.

QuiltingVagabond 04-23-2013 02:18 PM

For true colors, use a primer first to seal the wood from absorbing the color. Be sure to post a pic when it is finished!

ragamuffin 04-23-2013 07:06 PM

Make sure you use the appropriate paint for the wood. Some use the marine paint so it lasts longer in the heat and rain. I would ask the paint store in your area. Take a pic of the shed so he knows what kind of wood it is. If it is that T-111, I have that on my shed. I was going to stencil flowers on mine. I have fake windows, a fake door towards the street, I used 2 old shutters and then some wood pieces to make it look like a door. It needs painted too and I will have to take down the shutters to paint it. The other end is an old large wooden window with shutters on.
In the back, I took shutters and actually built a potting closet I will call it. I used one shutter for the side, and I put
2 shutters together for one door, 2 shutters for another door, and then a shutter for the other side. I used a piece of wood for the roof on a slant and added shingles. Then I added shelves. I put all my pots in it over the winter and tools. It is only a shutter deep, that's why it looks like a closet. The neighbors thought I was very clever. I added an old bicycle with a basket, and planted around the two sides. I want to add a planter box under the fake big window.
Just a suggestion for you to maul over. Have fun painting. Now I might take the fake door down and paint a quilt.

joyce888 04-23-2013 07:12 PM

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Hope to see pictures soon.

BrendaY 04-23-2013 09:40 PM

Does it have to be painted directly on the barn wall? Might you paint your block on a piece of pressed board and then mount it on the wall? Never done one tho... just looking for a lazy woman's way to get the job done.. (myself of course)..