Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Painters tape (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/painters-tape-t167577.html)

sharon b 11-10-2011 08:21 PM

Have used both- prefer the blue as it seems to come off cleaner and easier :)

annesthreads 11-10-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4664203)
When I use masking tape to tape down the backing fabric to the floor first, the masking tape is on the inside of the backing (wrong side) so I don't worry about any residue. I do reinforce the tape to fabric with a pin because fabric and tape don't stick all that well. I then lay the batt on top of the backing (no tape) Last I place the top on top of the sandwich carefully matching the register marks on the backing to get it centered. If you are spray basting, then you do that between the steps. If you are pin basting or thread basting it's time to break out the knee pads and crawl around until the job is done. Remove the tape and quilt your sandwich.

Thanks for this very clear description. I spent yesterday evening unpinning a quilt that I sandwiched only to find tucks in the back. ): I'll be reading your post before I start again!
Not sure whether we have the blue tape people have referred to here in the UK - I'm only aware of masking tape. a trip to the hardware shop is needed!

Sewflower 11-11-2011 04:33 AM

No problem here with painters tape.

CAJAMK 11-11-2011 04:35 AM

I have used blue painters tape for all kinds of things and it never leaves a residue. I have found masking tape can leave a bit.

debbiewi 11-11-2011 05:18 AM

I use blue painters tape all the time and it has never left residue

BarbaraSue 11-11-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4664521)
Thanks for this very clear description. I spent yesterday evening unpinning a quilt that I sandwiched only to find tucks in the back. ): I'll be reading your post before I start again!
Not sure whether we have the blue tape people have referred to here in the UK - I'm only aware of masking tape. a trip to the hardware shop is needed!

Just look for "painter's tape". It has been standardized here in the states as blue for a specific size, but there is a green tape, and another color that is used in painting walls as well. UK may have it packaged differently, but I'm sure you can find it. It is a low residue tape. Hope this helps.

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by dahlshouse (Post 4663981)
I was wondering who has any pros or cons on using Blue painters tape or Masking tape to tape down your quilt layers... Am worried about glue residue ...
Thanks in advance for your replys....

Painter's tape won't leave any marks at all. HOWEVER, I have a problem with the ends curling and sticking to other pieces or to mysef or to the machine or to the scissors.

Masking tape is generally safe if it's left on just a short period of time--------measured in minutes, not days

lfstamper 11-11-2011 06:26 AM

I use blue tape with no residue especially for marking diagonal lines for quilting. Just don't leave it on there too long.

lillybeck 11-11-2011 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4664107)
I use it .. I even use it to mark quilts when doing straight lines .. like long diagonals .. just stitch along each side of the tape....I have it in a few widths . Love the stuff!

I agree with this one. Painters tape is great because it always comes off clean no matter how long I leave it one. Sometimes the masking tape wants to pull when removing it.

carslo 11-11-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads (Post 4664521)

It might be green in the UK it is the tape that painters use around windows and such when doing close up work. I use masking tape all the time with no trouble even used paper tape left over after my DH surgery once when in a pinch!