Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pam Bono quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pam-bono-quilts-t99595.html)

quilterpam 02-13-2011 07:15 PM

Has anyone done a Pam Bono quilt pattern? She requires such percision in her cutting and sewing. I tried her Cat Nap pattern and did not have fun! I am going to have to figure another way to do the blocks because I like the cats but not her system. Am I in a minority?

dakotamaid 02-13-2011 07:26 PM

Yes, you have to be precise, but I love her designs. I work on one when I have time and am not rushed:):)

PWinston 02-13-2011 07:27 PM

No, you are not a minority. I love the look of a lot of her patterns but the directions are so complicated (when they really shouldn't be). Because of that, I no longer even look at any of her patterns or books.

RkayD 02-13-2011 07:33 PM

they really aren't that complicated..there are just aLOT of steps. I am going to try and tackle the Colorado Wedding Ring for my daughter. Its what she wants.....

DogHouseMom 02-13-2011 07:35 PM

I've never heard of her so went to look her up. Found "Cat Nap" and couldn't believe it was labled as a BEGINNER pattern?? Oh my. NOT.

Most of her patterns are lovely though.

littlehud 02-13-2011 07:41 PM

Her patterns are beautiful. I want to make Out of the Darkness. I have the pattern but I haven't worked up enough nerve to start it.

vbourck 02-13-2011 07:46 PM

My avatar is one of 12- 18 inch blocks in Pam Bono's Pieces of Baltimore pattern. I did it last year as BOM at LQS and still haven't pieced the border because of all the small pieces. I love how they turned out, but it was as much or more work to cut and organise all the small pieces as it was to piece the block. My goal it to get the top together and sandwiched for handquilting this year, got to get to that border. It is all cut out, but had other projects take priority. As long as you know up front what you are getting into, the projects can be something to be proud of when finished.

woody 02-14-2011 02:29 AM

I did one of her free patterns cats in the attic for a doll quilt swap. I labeled all the pieces as suggested and it seemed to go together quite smoothly.
I think you just need accurate sewing and to be very organised.
Not sure if I would enjoy doing a vey large quilt though. :? :?:

quilterella 02-14-2011 02:47 AM

I've been working on her Pieces of Baltimore for about 6 yrs. Organization and concentration are the two things most required. I now have 10 of the 12 blocks done. I work on it while I'm finishing another quilt's binding or if I'm in between projects. It usually takes me a day to cut and label the material for one block and then another day to put it together. I love her patterns and have three of her books...but, they are not for the faint of heart LOL!

NorBanaquilts 02-14-2011 03:12 AM

I have Out of the Darkness too, I bought it when I first started quilting and quickly realized I was in way over my head. :)