Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Panicked, but lucky! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/panicked-but-lucky-t171541.html)

zkosh 12-09-2011 07:48 PM

Panicked, but lucky!

I have been sick for the last two weeks, no voice, bronchitis, cough, etc. Last weekend I sewed for a little while on a lap quilt that I am making for my daughter, hoping to have at least the top together for Christmas. Well, that was a week ago and tonight I came into my sewing room to use the computer and heard a little noise, the kind that the iron makes when you are using it! Yes, you got it, the iron has been on all that time. I am shocked and grateful that nothing happened during this week. It could have been a terrible disaster! I still can't believe that it has been on all this time.

Sooooooooooooooooo, be especially careful when you don't feel well or if you are in a rush. I needed to share this with all you who I know understand. I'm pretty sure I must have a quilting angel watching over me!

Dina 12-09-2011 07:52 PM

Oh my!! I am glad you are feeling better and I am soooooo glad the iron didn't catch anything on fire. Whew!

Dina

Gramma B 12-09-2011 07:55 PM

Mine has been on for the last several weeks too. I had surgery and couldn't reach the cord end, and because I am the only one in here, I felt safe enough to do it. I know, risky, but I never would have gotten anything done for 6 weeks if I hadn't. Shame on me! Maybe I have a quilting angel watching over me too!

mrsponcho1 12-09-2011 08:03 PM

Sheri and Kathleen, I'm glad that nothing bad happened. I, too have left my iron on before (but just overnight), so when I am finished ironing, I unplug and lay the cord on top of the ironing board. The last thing I do when I leave the room for the day is close the window blinds. I have to reach around ironing board to do it, so I see cord.

Up North 12-09-2011 08:10 PM

Wow glad nothing happened mine goes across the door way so I always remember to unplug it

GrannieAnnie 12-09-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by zkosh (Post 4767558)
I have been sick for the last two weeks, no voice, bronchitis, cough, etc. Last weekend I sewed for a little while on a lap quilt that I am making for my daughter, hoping to have at least the top together for Christmas. Well, that was a week ago and tonight I came into my sewing room to use the computer and heard a little noise, the kind that the iron makes when you are using it! Yes, you got it, the iron has been on all that time. I am shocked and grateful that nothing happened during this week. It could have been a terrible disaster! I still can't believe that it has been on all this time.

Sooooooooooooooooo, be especially careful when you don't feel well or if you are in a rush. I needed to share this with all you who I know understand. I'm pretty sure I must have a quilting angel watching over me!

OMG! You are lucky! I have to trip over my iron if I'm not using it, so it always gets unplugged.

hperttula123 12-09-2011 08:47 PM

So glad nothing happened. :) Hope you are feeling better soon.

lab fairy 12-09-2011 08:50 PM

I did that once. I went out and got a timer to plug my iron into so it will shut off after midnight (or whatever time I decide that I should quit sewing).

Tartan 12-09-2011 09:49 PM

Glad it didn't start a fire! I saw an idea once that someone plugged her iron into a set of Christmas lights on a power bar. It would be pretty hard to miss a lit up string of lights before you leave the room.:)

auntpiggylpn 12-09-2011 09:53 PM

I have my iron plugged into a power strip with a floor light. I have to pass the ironing board and floor light on my way out of the room. I use the switch on the power strip so I know that my iron is turned off when the light is off.