Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pantograph users ???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pantograph-users-t186528.html)

true4uca 04-18-2012 06:50 PM

Pantograph users ????

I am using a Juki 2000 (9 inch throat), is there a method(?) for making the pantrograph nest when you start the second row. I would like it to look like an all over pattern. Not sure if my wording is correct. Right now they are all lined up like little soldiers. LOL. So this gives me empty spaces.

lfletcher 04-19-2012 03:39 AM

All my pantographs nest. When you roll your quilt up for the next row, there should be reference marks on the pantograph. If you line these up, then it will look like an all over design. Hope this helps.

coldquilter 04-19-2012 04:36 AM

I don't typically use pantographs that have reference marks. What you have to do is look at your pantograph and usually there is a portion on the top from the row before that is maybe in dashed lines. measure the distance between that dotted row and the full row in solid line below. Hope this makes sense but usually it's about maybe 1/4" in between rows and you have to just use the number you find with that measurement. I hope this makes sense, otherwise let me know and I will try to clear it up.

true4uca 04-19-2012 01:07 PM

Do I just put my needle down a 1/4 inch from the highest point of my previous row. How far do I roll my quilt. I'm thinking this might be my problem. Can you tell I tend to think things to death. Why do it in 2 steps if I can do it in fifteen.grin.

JustAbitCrazy 04-19-2012 03:52 PM

Another way to do this: Put your needle over the spot on the quilt where you think a low point in the next row to be stitched should be. (Pick an obvious place like the point of a leaf, etc. and something which should be close to the previous row you already stitched.) Now move your laser light so it is also on that same spot on the printed pantograph. Now your needle and your laser light are both aligned on the same spot. Do not move your laser again, but move the machine so the light falls at the beginning of the pantograph, and that should be where you should start stitching the next row. I always do a dry run on each row first, by moving the machine across the pantograph pattern, checking where the laser light falls in reference to the previous stitching along the lowest points of the pattern. Hope this makes sense.

true4uca 04-19-2012 04:25 PM

Thank you, I think I have it. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5155097)
Another way to do this: Put your needle over the spot on the quilt where you think a low point in the next row to be stitched should be. (Pick an obvious place like the point of a leaf, etc. and something which should be close to the previous row you already stitched.) Now move your laser light so it is also on that same spot on the printed pantograph. Now your needle and your laser light are both aligned on the same spot. Do not move your laser again, but move the machine so the light falls at the beginning of the pantograph, and that should be where you should start stitching the next row. I always do a dry run on each row first, by moving the machine across the pantograph pattern, checking where the laser light falls in reference to the previous stitching along the lowest points of the pattern. Hope this makes sense.

JustAbitCrazy 04-19-2012 11:53 PM

You are very welcome! When I pick that first spot on the quilt to put my needle over, I pick a spot close to the beginning of the pantograph so it is easy to find that exact point on the printed paper pattern. If you pick a place out in the middle of the quilt, you have to count the repeats, etc. and it's harder and just takes longer. Forgot to mention that before. Good luck tomorrow--give a shout out if you need to.

coldquilter 04-21-2012 04:55 AM

Best of luck to you.