Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing Nightmare- any help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-nightmare-any-help-t303861.html)

SusieQOH 03-27-2019 09:09 AM

Paper Piecing Nightmare- any help?

Hi all, I am on my 4th attempt to get this block right.
The directions are clear. I've cut all the pieces and sew them on in order.
However, I keep finding that a corner here and there has an open space.

I watched the video from Fat Quarter Shop. It's the pineapple block and I've
followed the directions. I placed the pieces the correct way.

Paper piecing and I do not get along!

TIA

Teen 03-27-2019 09:22 AM

Oh...I feel your pain... I typically cut my pieces larger then recommended to ensure that when flipped and pressed it covers the section and the seam allowance needed. Pineapple block is using rectangle pieces so just cut them a little larger. Then, before you flip and press, peel paper back from line you just sewed and trim leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Then, flip and press. There's more waste with this method but I'd rather waste fabric then my time...lol..I don't know how FQ shop teaches the procedure but check out you-tubes for the different methods used.

Mousie 03-27-2019 09:28 AM

I have long admired some pineapple quilts and figured eventually I would ppr piece one.
I like the idea of cutting larger and trimming down to prevent problems.thanks.
I have ppr pieced and it's a great technique for accuracy. I just never used it much
bc I don't care much for the "boxy" look, if that makes sense, but pickledish and
pineapples can be very pretty with it sometimes. (in the right colors and not too busy, lol.)

Jordan 03-27-2019 09:40 AM

I understand you completely. I tried paper piece one time and was so frustrated that I threw everything away and said "never again!!" The only thing I am wondering is if you are cutting your pieces of fabric long enough to cover up the openings after you sew and turn? Just a thought. I have purchase a Creative Grid ruler to make a pineapple block to see if I can do it. I think the Pineapple quilts are so beautiful.

mic-pa 03-27-2019 09:51 AM

HI, I love PP , took a class from Carol Doak and never looked back. But you do have to cut the pc's slightly bigger and if you are afraid of waste this is not for you. Also Jordan, I bought the Creative Grid pineapple ruler but really didn't care for it, coarse that's not PP.

SusieQOH 03-27-2019 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: My problem turned out to be nothing!
Once I did the rounds the spot I thought was open was covered.
Not sure if I like this method though, but I do like the finished block. Something about the process bugs me. :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]610838[/ATTACH] Hope my issue and resolution can help someone else!
Thank you!

Boston1954 03-27-2019 09:58 AM

I'm glad it worked out Sweetie! That is going to be gorgeous. I hope to see the finished top soon.

pewa88 03-27-2019 10:00 AM

Glad you figured it out. That is a pretty block. It does get easier. Keep on working it will make a beautiful quilt.

Teen 03-27-2019 10:08 AM

Beautiful Susie!! Glad it worked out....with anything, practice refines. We quilter's are a creative lot!!

Tartan 03-27-2019 10:50 AM

Looks lovely but if you are not enjoying the process, make it into a table topper and move on.