Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PAPER PIECING QUESTION (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-question-t148827.html)

Zhillslady 08-29-2011 12:46 PM

Hi ladies. Hoping someone can help me with a paper piecing questions. I have a vacation day Thursday so I'm taking a paperpiecing class. Does it normally use a lot more fabric than a standard pieced top? I just got my fabric requirements and for a twin size its 7.25 yard black then 4 pieces each of four different color familes so around 15-17 yards of fabric for a twin top including binding. Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding?

ckcowl 08-29-2011 12:49 PM

yes- it takes alot more fabric than a pieced top- the first time i tried paper piecing i was so distressed over how much fabric i was cutting off and throwing away- i swore i would never paper piece again! that didn't last long- as i went along i learned ways to not waste so much- and i also stopped throwing it in the waste basket = i saved those pieces- and figured out ways to use them.
now i paper or foundation piece all the time- still takes alot of fabric= but i don't waste it.

Zhillslady 08-29-2011 12:53 PM

Thank you that makes me feel better. I read the fabric requirements and almost had a stroke for a twin size quilt top.

Johanna Fritz 08-29-2011 01:10 PM

Yes, it uses a lot of fabric, but I cannot figure it out for sure without seeing the block etc. Paper Piecing is a great way to use up scraps. Everything doesn't have to "coordinate" so matchy-matchy - like with a limited fabric palette. I would suggest taking the class to learn the block and then see if you like it. You might have material in your scraps that would work.

Johanna Fritz 08-29-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Hi ladies. Hoping someone can help me with a paper piecing questions. I have a vacation day Thursday so I'm taking a paperpiecing class. Does it normally use a lot more fabric than a standard pieced top? I just got my fabric requirements and for a twin size its 7.25 yard black then 4 pieces each of four different color familes so around 15-17 yards of fabric for a twin top including binding. Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding?

At the absolute most, it might be twice as much fabric. That must include binding, borders and backing. I would make one block and see how it goes.

Kathy Osterby 08-29-2011 01:45 PM

Can you cut strips the lenght of each piece so you aren't using such a big piece to cut off? I think I saw the paperpiecing tutoral on 1 of the programs from Fon"s and Porter's tv show. You might be able to find it on their web site. Hope it helps.

Linda71 08-29-2011 02:19 PM

It may use more but the accuracy it great.

snipforfun 08-29-2011 02:25 PM

It depends on who wrote the pattern. What pattern is it? Carol Doak gives exact sizes to cut with minimum waste. I did one last year with a different designer and it was almost illegal what she had us buy. Im really picky whose patterns I use.

Bueniebabe 08-29-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady

I think Carol Doak's paper piecing books tell what size to cut each piece. That would help a lot.

Dolphyngyrl 08-29-2011 04:19 PM

yeah some don't waste as much. I was doing a star quilt by starr fabrics that used little waste but stopped buying the blocks because the designer has awful customer service and I would never receive my BOM for months on end