Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-question-t246478.html)

KarinSt 05-08-2014 10:10 AM

Paper piecing question

I just started a real pretty paper pieced Lily of the valley today. All went well until I got to two pieces saying 3a and 3b (just an example). In between those two pieces are a = symbol. I know this does not mean equal. I went and traced those two tiny pieces, sewed them together but I guess I am doing something wrong in reversing. Question: what does = stand for???? There are maybe only 4 piece section like this in my project.
I have paper pieced a lot. This is the first time I encountered this.

nativetexan 05-08-2014 10:25 AM

well, reverse is right. i just don't know what else though. I suggest reading and reading again and maybe it will jump out at you. or someone who does much more PP than i do will help with a suggestion.

eparys 05-08-2014 10:52 AM

I do a lot of PPing and to date have never seen that , so without seeing the actual pattern I do not think I have a good answer for you. Was it a free download or was it something that you purchased?

If it was a free download please post a link - if it was a purchased pattern, I would go back to the creator and ask the question to them.

Good luck!!

ube quilting 05-08-2014 11:05 AM

It might mean that these two pieces get sewn together before being sewn onto another piece. I have seen this before but without seeing the pattern I don't want to sound positive about it. If you could post a picture or link it would be very helpful.
peace

DebraK 05-08-2014 11:06 AM

The only thing I can think of, is that maybe it is a critical match point, and you need to put a few stitches there to line things up before stitching the seam.

ecmoore 05-08-2014 11:07 AM

Is this a Cynthia England pattern? I know she uses a unique set of marking, but am presently travelling and don't have access to her book.

KarinSt 05-08-2014 03:23 PM

Ok I got my answer. Ube quilting you are the winner. :)
Those two pieces are sewn together before piecing into block. I contacted the designer SilverLiningsOriginals.com. She has some beautiful designs. I am working on the Lily of the valley. It will not be my last one.
Thank you everyone.

Sandra in Minnesota 05-08-2014 06:06 PM

Glad you found your answer. I, too, was leaning toward Ubequilting's response. Sometimes people think of different ways to do things.

sewwhat85 05-09-2014 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6709014)
It might mean that these two pieces get sewn together before being sewn onto another piece. I have seen this before but without seeing the pattern I don't want to sound positive about it. If you could post a picture or link it would be very helpful.
peace

I believe this is what it means . I have had patterns like this.

eparys 05-09-2014 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by KarinSt (Post 6709316)
Ok I got my answer. Ube quilting you are the winner. :)
Those two pieces are sewn together before piecing into block. I contacted the designer SilverLiningsOriginals.com. She has some beautiful designs. I am working on the Lily of the valley. It will not be my last one.
Thank you everyone.

So glad you found out. Now we all know for further reference!!

That had crossed my mind but not having the pattern in front of me I would not have ventured a guess. Hopefully you will post a picture when you have finished it!!!