Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-question-t285978.html)

anniep 02-10-2017 09:17 AM

Paper piecing question

Have any of you ever used plain old copy paper for foundation paper piecing? I'm tempted to try it, but afraid I may be sorry.

sewingsuz 02-10-2017 09:20 AM

Yes that is what I used and make your stitch smaller and crease the paper on the seam lines first and it was ok.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 02-10-2017 09:20 AM

I have in a pinch - shorten your stitch to pierce the paper more like a tear off stub.

Peckish 02-10-2017 09:23 AM

Tried it, hated it. Tried a bunch of different papers, finally found vellum, which works very well for me. It's easy to print on, I can see through it, and it tears away easily, especially if you iron it. Ironing seems to make it kind of brittle.

Having said that, I will also say that I no longer sew through the paper. I use the folding technique where you fold on the sewing line and stitch right next to it. Since the vellum is semi-opaque, I can see the line and exactly where I'm folding. I use a dab of glue stick to hold the paper to the fabric.

feline fanatic 02-10-2017 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7761391)
Tried it, hated it. Tried a bunch of different papers, finally found vellum, which works very well for me. It's easy to print on, I can see through it, and it tears away easily, especially if you iron it. Ironing seems to make it kind of brittle.

Having said that, I will also say that I no longer sew through the paper. I use the folding technique where you fold on the sewing line and stitch right next to it. Since the vellum is semi-opaque, I can see the line and exactly where I'm folding. I use a dab of glue stick to hold the paper to the fabric.

The fold technique works really well with freezer paper. Ironing it makes it stick to the fabric.

QuiltnNan 02-10-2017 09:47 AM

I use it all of the time. I receive a monthly notice on colored copy paper. I reuse the back of that and i find that easier to use/see with the fold back PP method that I prefer

Cari-in-Oly 02-10-2017 10:14 AM

I use white dollar store tissue paper. No need to remove it, it completely dissolves when the quilt is washed.

Cari

MarionsQuilts 02-10-2017 10:16 AM

I use it all the time ... just do like everyone suggested and shorten you stitch length! And don't forget to "fix" your seam at the beginning and end LOL I forgot a couple of times ... pain in the butt when your stitches come out when you tear off the paper!

bj 02-10-2017 10:20 AM

That's all I ever use. Instead of folding on the stitch lines, I lightly score then with a the tip of my seam ripper using a ruler to keep my scoring straight. The paper pulls away very nicely.

NJ Quilter 02-10-2017 12:23 PM

I use it all the time as well. I do shorten the stitch length but don't both with scoring or folding or anything else. So far, no problems.