Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   paper piecing to regular piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-regular-piecing-t124253.html)

DesertNurse41 05-19-2011 10:27 AM

I have seen so many patterns I love but they are paper pieced and it's something I tried and failed merisbly at. My question is: how do you flip a pattern from pp to reg blocks?? Is it even possible? This may sound like a dumb questions to some of you but I am still rather new at this.:) I figured if anyone knew it would be from someone of this board !!!!

amma 05-19-2011 10:34 AM

Cut the blocks apart, use them as templates, adding a 1/4" seam allowance as you cut your fabric :D:D:D

rwquilts 05-19-2011 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Cut the blocks apart, use them as templates, adding a 1/4" seam allowance as you cut your fabric :D:D:D

Also, pay attention in case the pattern is "mirrored" and if that will make a difference. Good luck to you! Sorry you don't enjoy PPing...I had to be away from it for a few years and tried again and it finally "clicked". Maybe down the road you can try again and have a happier outcome?

feline fanatic 05-19-2011 11:08 AM

Please try again. Some PP patterns are very difficult to acheive via traditional piecing even with the templates. I took a class for PP. I tried teaching myself and just couldn't grasp the instructions in written form, I needed to be shown how to do it. It makes a world of difference having a real live person showing you what to do and then helping you out with what you did wrong in person. I can see where it would frustrate someone enough to not try it again if you were trying to teach yourself via books, instructions and videos. When you finally have that "aha" moment you will love how easy and foolproof it can be.

cathylynn 05-19-2011 11:47 AM

agree with Feline Fanatic - try paper piecing again. watch a couple of youtube videos - the visuals helped me tremendously. I failed the 1st time I attempted pp'ing a couple of years ago but love it now after my 'aha' moment.

cathylynn 05-19-2011 11:47 AM

oops - wasn't patient -- agree with Feline Fanatic ....

DesertNurse41 05-19-2011 02:25 PM

thanks for all the advice. Guess I will try ONE more time!!! Wish me luck!!!

BKrenning 05-19-2011 02:35 PM

Start with a simple pattern like log cabin or courthouse steps--just strips. When you get the hang of that, try Hole in the Barn Door or Pineapple blocks--something with normal triangles. After you get those down, then branch out to odd size triangles. Those are the weird ones for me and I still screw them up sometimes if I don't pay close attention to which direction the angle goes.

Dolphyngyrl 05-19-2011 04:50 PM

Watch you tube videos, they really helped me alot with PP, there is a lot of patience needed for it, don't give up. The way the blocks come out is really hard to do with traditional piecing. I also love the add a quarter ruler, and my light box made it really a lot easier for me. Trust me it gets easier as you go

d.swindle 05-19-2011 05:27 PM

I'm doing my first pp quilt, I had tried it and finaly got very good info. from the quilting form,they recomended watching Utube videos and now I'm hooked,
D. swindle