Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper piecing:shock: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-shock-t41315.html)

Andii 03-31-2010 09:34 AM

:shock:
Paper piecing...Let me first say I think I am going to love it...I am still plucking away at the February BOM-plucking it out and starting over that is :roll: I think it is going to be good once I get it down but it really is something that doesn't come naturally to me. It seems backwards and awkward. I get what I'm doing but when I try to think too much I pin the fabric backwards or make sure I have enough material but forget to flip and measure it...know what I mean?

I also notice I have to keep at it because once I walk a way for a bit the groove I get going takes awhile to get back into...like I don't retain the knowledge. I'm also handpiecing so it takes awhile. I have a machine but I like handpiecing so far.

Anyway, just a few tips for other novice piecers. When it says print extra copies of the pattern while you're learning double whatever you planned to print ;-) I thought I could reuse the pattern if I messed up but you really can't because it's perforated.

Second, try not to overthink it...because it doesn't make sense, just do it :thumbup:

Third, beeswax or thread conditioner if you're sewing by hand. Someone mentioned it to me as a tip and I didn't get it until I had finished my first block. I got it yesterday and it helps so much. I haven't been having near as many problems with tangling.

To all of you experienced ladies-does the beeswax stain the fabric in anyway? It doesn't seem to but I just wondered.
Back to my block.
Andii

Eddie 03-31-2010 09:35 AM

It can be. :D

DebraK 03-31-2010 09:35 AM

what?

Andii 03-31-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie

It can be what, Eddie?

I didn't mean to disrespect the gentlemen on here
:oops: I'd like their opinions on beeswax too.
You've heard this a hundred times, I'm sure, but your quilts are some of my favorites, Eddie.
Andii

AtHomeSewing 03-31-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Andii
I thought I could reuse the pattern if I messed up but you really can't because it's perforated.
Andii

Carol Doak showed us how to use Scotch Brand REMOVABLE tape to "fix" pattern pieces when I needed to restitch something. This tape is also repositionable! It comes in the Blue Box . She suggests using the 1/2" size. It works very well. The tape is very easy to peel off when you want it off.

Hope her tip this might help you too! :) :)

Here's is the product:
http://www.Shop3M.com/70016032032.ht...Removable-Tape

Eddie 03-31-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Andii

Originally Posted by Eddie

It can be what, Eddie?

Shocking, LOL. :) When your message was first posted there was only the :shock: thingy in it, so I was agreeing that paper piecing can be shocking. But in a good way. :) I attended a quilt retreat a few weeks ago and they did a paper piecing class which really got me interested in it. The precision that can be achieved with it is amazing. A friend lent me a couple of PP books since then, so I need to get busy reading up on them. So to me, PP is shockingly great! :D

kathy 03-31-2010 10:10 AM

WOW I can't believe you're PPing by hand, that's got to be tuff! I really think you'd enjoy it quicker if you'd use your machine. I'm just like you on the not retaining what I thought I learned. When I started I would baste it by hand to be sure it was right, then sew it on the machine, then I would pin on the sewing line so I could flip and be sure it was big enough, then I really got the hang of it and just eyeballed it. Good luck, can't wait to see what you're making .

TanyaMas 03-31-2010 10:15 AM

Ive always had issues with paper piecing too.. It seems easy, and not sure why i have issues with it but for some reason, i always end up backwards on it too lol... good luck with yours, im sure it will turn out lovely in the end.

Marjpf 03-31-2010 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
Ive always had issues with paper piecing too.. It seems easy, and not sure why i have issues with it but for some reason, i always end up backwards on it too lol... good luck with yours, im sure it will turn out lovely in the end.

I had problems at first, then found if I first don't think about it, just follow the instructions, and second if I find myself thinking about it I try to think backwards, that it all comes out just fine.

Ninnie 03-31-2010 12:06 PM

I am addicted to Pp. I just learned how last week, I bought Carol Doaks DVD on learning to PP, and after watching it only once, it all made sense. I was one of those who that that paper piecing was something I would never be able to do.It is so much fun!!