Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-t179741.html)

jackied 02-17-2012 12:48 PM

Paper piecing

I want to try this and have a question. When it says to make so many copies, what kind of paper do you use? Is the regular com. printer paper too thick? I can't seem to find any other kind to use.

Up North 02-17-2012 12:50 PM

regular printer paper will work, I buy the scribble tablets from the dollar tree and they work great too. Just remember to use a shorter stitch.

Peckish 02-17-2012 12:54 PM

I've used copy paper, vellum, paper-piecing paper (specially made for paper-piecing), tracing paper, and clean newspaper. My favorite to work with by far is vellum. It's available at office supply stores.

Beginner10 02-17-2012 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Up North (Post 4983862)
regular printer paper will work, I buy the scribble tablets from the dollar tree and they work great too. Just remember to use a shorter stitch.

I am going to try paper piecing also and going to use parchment paper..that is what I was told by my LQS to use. I also saw this about scribble tablets on another post so I took a trip to my local dollar store and they did not have the scribble tablets..go figure.

Lori S 02-17-2012 01:04 PM

I use the cheapest copy paper I can get that still goes through my printer.

DogHouseMom 02-17-2012 01:40 PM

I have used plain copy machine paper (20#) and while it does work, it's not the easist to work with for two reasons. One is that it is more difficult to tear, the other is that you can't see through as easily as other papers. But it was what I had available and for most of the PP projects I worked on it was OK.

Then I made a mini-lone star that was PP and the regular copy paper was almost impossible to work with with those teeny tiny pieces, plus the method of the lone star PP is a little different as first you sew the rows which do not overlap each other, then you fold the paper so the two rows meet to sew the rows together. The bulk of the 20# paper plus the 1/4" seam of the paper was difficult to manage!!

So recently I splurged ... I spotted by accident a package of Carol Doaks foundation paper and thought I'd try to to see if it was worth it. I honestly do not remember the price, but whatever it cost ... I would gladly pay it again instead of fighting with 20# copy paper!! It's thinner and easier to see through and tears away nicely.

I still use a smaller stitch though, even with the Carol Doaks paper.

MiaA 02-17-2012 01:47 PM

I use the Carol Doak's foundation paper and love it, I've bought it at Joann's with a 50% off coupon :-)

sewmary 02-17-2012 01:55 PM

Leftover gift wrap (not tissue paper). Newsprint bought by the ream (cheap!).

Jackie Spencer 02-17-2012 02:10 PM

I use the cheap copy paper at Walmart, set my stitch at 1.5 and have never had a problem, the papers almost fall out.

kateyb 02-17-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4983891)
I use the cheapest copy paper I can get that still goes through my printer.

Keep the cheap paper to use only for your pp. My husband worked on copiers for years. The cheaper paper has more lint and will cause problems in your printer and is expensive to repair if at all.