Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing Tips for Better Success .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-tips-better-success-t163652.html)

snipforfun 10-27-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Get yourself a 1/4 edge ruler...Never had a problemm with blades dulling on paper...use 1.5 stitch length and I use reg copy paper...

They are called Add a Quarter ruler.

BKrenning 10-27-2011 07:32 PM

I like to crease the foundations on all the lines. It helps me with fabric placement and weakens the paper making it easier to remove.

I also use washable glue to hold down piece #1 and will also use it to temporarily hold pieces while I flip & sew if I'm having trouble with them slipping.

I also prefer to remove the outside seam allowance on the foundation paper of blocks that have more than 2 sections. It's too much of a bugger to remove it when it gets sewn into the seams and it's very hard to sew through on blocks that come together in the center.

I prefer to use my dulled 12 & 14 needles for paper piecing. Gives them one more use before going to needle heaven.

QuiltE 10-27-2011 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hope others benefit from them too!

Interesting the different thoughts re the effects of paper on rotary blades and scissors. I too was raised that we had sewing scissors ...... and scissors for paper etc. And NEVER did we dare to use scissors on wire, as someone suggested!

I have been going with a very short stitch ... 1.0 !!

I have an "add a 1/4" ruler, though I don't like it .... too small for my big fingers to hold in place and then slice with the rotary. YIKES! Therefore, I find I only use it when drawing on 1/4" markings! Instead I prefer a full size ruler or square, which also helps hold the whole section of the block in place when I trim.

To hold pieces in place, I will add a few basting stitches. Then they're easily removed.

I haven't tried the glues .... what brand of washable glues do you use?

quilting cat 10-27-2011 08:11 PM

I've been working on a PP project, and having trouble with getting the paper bits out of points. Is there a better paper than what you usually use in a copier?

fireworkslover 10-27-2011 08:33 PM

I've used tracing paper when I hand drew my pattern, but I think it should work in your printer if it's cut to the right size to fit in the paper tray. I think it tears away easier than reg. copy paper.

fireworkslover 10-27-2011 08:38 PM

I use a size 14 needle when PP and have a 1/4" seam allowance. If going smaller, I did one where the pieces were very small, I switched to a Microtex needle 80/12 and 1/8" seam allowances. I still used a 1.5 stitch length. As far as using your rotary cutter, I think it's a good idea to switch out your blade after each project is done. With PP, you use your cutter a lot more than you think, one time for each piece you sew on, not including the cutting of your strips or pieces in the beginning and then to square up your block before sewing the blocks together.

snipforfun 10-27-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I use a size 14 needle when PP and have a 1/4" seam allowance. If going smaller, I did one where the pieces were very small, I switched to a Microtex needle 80/12 and 1/8" seam allowances. I still used a 1.5 stitch length. As far as using your rotary cutter, I think it's a good idea to switch out your blade after each project is done. With PP, you use your cutter a lot more than you think, one time for each piece you sew on, not including the cutting of your strips or pieces in the beginning and then to square up your block before sewing the blocks together.

If im doing a miniature, I go ahead and stitch as usual on the line then trim with an Add An Eighth ruler

snipforfun 10-27-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hope others benefit from them too!

Interesting the different thoughts re the effects of paper on rotary blades and scissors. I too was raised that we had sewing scissors ...... and scissors for paper etc. And NEVER did we dare to use scissors on wire, as someone suggested!

I have been going with a very short stitch ... 1.0 !!

I have an "add a 1/4" ruler, though I don't like it .... too small for my big fingers to hold in place and then slice with the rotary. YIKES! Therefore, I
find I only use it when drawing on 1/4" markings! Instead I prefer a full size ruler or square, which also helps hold the whole section of the block in place when I trim.

When using the Add A Quarter ruler, are you placing a postcard on the stitching line then butting the lip of the ruler on the edge of the card. You might be more comfortable with the same AAQ ruler in the 12" size.

To hold pieces in place, I will add a few basting stitches. Then they're easily removed.

I haven't tried the glues .... what brand of washable glues do you use?

hobbykat1955 10-28-2011 02:43 AM

They do have Washaway PPing sheets...at Joann's...

grma33 10-28-2011 03:27 AM

I also use tracing paper put through the printer and microtex needle 12
Gale