Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing-When to remove or not to remove (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-when-remove-not-remove-t59740.html)

Butterflyblue 08-16-2010 05:52 PM

I was taught to remove the paper after the top is assembled, because the paper stabilizes it. So that's what I do, even though I really bad want to pull the paper out as soon as the block is done.

BKrenning 08-16-2010 06:45 PM

It depends on how thick the seams are going to be when trying to join the blocks together. I usually leave it in until the top is complete but if the machine starts bogging down; I remove it. It will also depend on what kind of paper was used. Regular copy paper is thick! The cheaper stuff is easier to deal with.

arritta morris 08-16-2010 08:00 PM

I am doing a flower garden with the hexagon paper pieces and it really does help to punch a hole in the center of the paper piece in order to get it out better. I wait till I have the entire top finished. I make my own paper pieces out of card stock.

kristen0112 08-16-2010 08:06 PM

I like to leave it in until the blocks are together, it stablizes some of those angled pieces and I like the line for to sew on. There are times when I am tearing off paper and I think 'I could leave a lot of this' But then I keep tearing. I do leave little bits if they don't rip cleanly. I also, will remove a little bit before then putting the blocks together espeically if its going to get trapped by connecting seams. I read a tip about using the back side of your seam ripper to score long the stitch line on the paper. It does make ripping it out a little easier.

kwiltkrazy 08-16-2010 09:04 PM

I usually wait until I'm ready to sandwich it. I like the idea of not having to worry about the bias stretching.

spinnergs 08-16-2010 09:27 PM

I use freezer paper for my patterns so there is no paper to remove when the block is finished. Hated all those little bits of paper everywhere! With freezer paper you fold the pattern on the line then sew next to the paper instead of through the paper.

sabrinaquilts 08-16-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I was taught to remove the paper after the top is assembled, because the paper stabilizes it. So that's what I do, even though I really bad want to pull the paper out as soon as the block is done.

I really want to pull the paper out too especially since I keep coming across conflicting instructions about this step.

sabrinaquilts 08-16-2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
I use freezer paper for my patterns so there is no paper to remove when the block is finished. Hated all those little bits of paper everywhere! With freezer paper you fold the pattern on the line then sew next to the paper instead of through the paper.

I read about doing foundation piecing this way. Eventually I want to try it. I had never done paper piecing before so I thought I should at least give it a try so I have something to compare to. Hey, I might find the old school of foundation piecing works better with my brain than the freezer paper foundation. Although, so far all whom I have met who had tried it, raves about it.

Candace 08-17-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue

I really want to pull the paper out too especially since I keep coming across conflicting instructions about this step.

Well...you're not really receiving conflicting info. here. We're all saying the same thing.

wvdek 08-17-2010 06:57 AM

As with most anything, there is no set rule. Do what works for you. I happen to remove when I finish a block. I tried leaving the paper on with one of my doll quilts and had a dickens of a time getting all the litte bits of paper from in between the seams out. Yes, I used more stitches to the inch so the perforations made it easier to tear, but it was a mess at the seams. I am no expert and have not done a large PP quilt so my opinion is probably not worth the paper it is written on. :roll: