Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piercing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piercing-t143324.html)

jshorty 08-07-2011 08:01 AM

I am trying my first paper piercing project with scrapes. It seems to be taking forever to get just part of a block done. The paper peicing is a triangle that is part of a flower basket. Right now it seems I cut a scrap to size, sew, iron, then on to the next scrap. Does anyone have any assembly line ideas? I have to make 36 of these. I have limited space to work in.

QuiltE 08-07-2011 08:07 AM

There's no rule saying you have to complete one PP block before starting the next. Why not make all 36 at the same time? .... or just a few of them?

PaperPrincess 08-07-2011 08:07 AM

I have worked on multiples. I did 3 at a time, so when you cut a piece, you can cut 3. It does take time, but you will get quicker, and the results are so worth it. Also, I found that if I cut the pieces bigger than i thought I needed, it worked better. You waste fabric, but it seems to go quicker if you're not cutting each piece with great precision.

amma 08-07-2011 08:09 AM

I would cut all 36 of each piece, sew them assembly line style, press, trim and then repeat :D:D:D

gaevren 08-07-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would cut all 36 of each piece, sew them assembly line style, press, trim and then repeat :D:D:D

Same here. It seems to go so much quicker that way- and it probably actually does!

jshorty 08-07-2011 08:33 AM

Thanks, I'm cutting the pattern out 1/4" bigger then the cut line on the pattern. I like the idea of laying out all the paper triangles & do all the sewing for the first piece on all of them, then ironing all of them, then going on to the 2nd piece etc. Seems more efficient than what I am doing. I thought paper peicing was suppose to be faster then regular piercing, but I'm having 2nd thoughts, not all scrapes have a straight line to sew the 2nd piece on to. I think this is going to be my first & last paper piercing project !!!!!

seamstome 08-07-2011 08:39 AM

Not faster just more accurate

pocoellie 08-07-2011 08:55 AM

When I paper piece if I'm doing the same blocks, just scrappy, I do about 10 at a time and work on the same number, sew them all, press, sew the next number. I don't cut the piece for the sections, I just make sure the piece is big enough, after it's sewn, then I trim. I don't know if this will work for you, but it sure speeds it up for me.

virtualbernie 08-07-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by jshorty
Thanks, I'm cutting the pattern out 1/4" bigger then the cut line on the pattern. I like the idea of laying out all the paper triangles & do all the sewing for the first piece on all of them, then ironing all of them, then going on to the 2nd piece etc. Seems more efficient than what I am doing. I thought paper peicing was suppose to be faster then regular piercing, but I'm having 2nd thoughts, not all scrapes have a straight line to sew the 2nd piece on to. I think this is going to be my first & last paper piercing project !!!!!

Paper piecing has never been fast for me but the results always look better and are more accurate.

pdcakm 08-07-2011 09:38 AM

sorry, not faster. at least not in my experience. however, the result is gorgeous. keep at it. definitely use production technique. give us a pic when done.