Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paraffin mixed into starch ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paraffin-mixed-into-starch-t99556.html)

goaf1968 02-13-2011 05:19 PM

This is an interesting, brief article I was reading in an old booklet put out by Gulfwax back in what looks like the 1960s. It was about decorative candle making.

"Starching: For a smooth finish, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of Gulfwax to each quart of hot starch (depending on finish desired), and boil for five minutes."

"Ironing: Rub hot iron over a piece of Gulfwax, wrapped in a cloth, to make it smooth and bright."

QUESTION: What, exactly, does paraffin wax have to do with starching/ironing, and why would someone want to introduce a potentially flammable product into something that would end up on clothes or quilts?

Any thoughts on this?

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

quilter1943 02-13-2011 05:26 PM

NOt sure unless to make something stiffer. In the 60's we wore stiffly starched cotton shirts -- UGH. Remember my boyfriends mother ironing his shirts -- it was quite a process back then. Don't think there was even non-flammable fabric then for clothing. I was still at university so I wasn't in the least domestic.

quilter1943 02-13-2011 05:27 PM

It would make the iron glide over the fabric more easily if they ironed over the wax wrapped in cloth.

frugalfabrics 02-13-2011 05:54 PM

..that's funny. I remember my mom putting paraffin wax in a cotton towel and running it across the bottom of her iron. she said it removed all the gunk on the bottom of the iron.

I tried it once and it didn't do anything for me.

quilter1943 02-13-2011 05:55 PM

Don't you think it's because we have such different surfaces on our irons now?

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
..that's funny. I remember my mom putting paraffin wax in a cotton towel and running it across the bottom of her iron. she said it removed all the gunk on the bottom of the iron.

I tried it once and it didn't do anything for me.

frugalfabrics 02-13-2011 05:59 PM

Could be...I have no idea.

I remember her iron being super heavy and huge!

The one I have now is a teflon, cheap plastic made one.

OHSue 02-13-2011 06:27 PM

First of all folks didn't worry about potentially flamable things back then.
In addition people starched a lot of things besides clothes. I remember doing the ironing as a kid and starching a lot of household linens with lacy edges. They were starched to a very stiff finish, so maybe having some wax in there would help, but can't really think it would be much stiffer than starch. I do remember the rubbing wax on the bottom of the iron thing. Later on my mom would run the iron over a piece of waxed paper.
I guess you should take into consideration who the info came from, they were just trying to sell more parafin.

GwynR 02-13-2011 08:31 PM

I remember my mom ironing waxed paper too and she had me doing it too. I had forgotten all about that. Tomorrow I will call her and ask why!