Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Parts availabliity - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/parts-availabliity-t266486.html)

bearisgray 06-16-2015 10:37 AM

Parts availabliity -

How long do you think is a "reasonable" time for parts to be available for a machine?

Jim's Gem 06-16-2015 10:49 AM

Well, one time I had to wait 8 months for the S-Print (computer) for my machine. Bernina needed to manufacture more and had changed manufacturers. Fortunately the machine still worked, just not very well. I used it for about 6 months of that time then it finally wouldn't let me change stitches or stitch length so I pulled out my trusty old Pfaff and used it until the part came in.
Reasonable would be within two weeks or so. Maybe a month at most.

donnajean 06-16-2015 11:06 AM

I think sewing machines are like cars. It takes them a while to admit there is a problem and then it is months before they manufacture a replacement part. I went through that when my Viking Rose was new back in 1996.

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2015 11:09 AM

For what type of a machine??? Sometimes it takes some time to track down parts for an older sewing machine.

Onebyone 06-16-2015 01:01 PM

A dealer told me it would be four months or more for a part I needed for my machine. I went online and ordered it myself from the Brother website. I had a another repairman put it on for me. I had no warranty on the machine so it didn't matter who fixed it.

Latrinka 06-16-2015 01:08 PM

I would say a couple weeks maybe. If it was a fairly new machine, and under warranty, I would ask for a loaner machine, especially if it was holding me up on a project I was working on and I didn't have a back-up machine.

JenniePenny 06-16-2015 02:05 PM

I am reading the question as how long available versus how long to wait if something needs repairs.

I would expect parts to be available for my machine about 10 years.
Hope they will be available indefinitely.... But I don't expect them to be...

bearisgray 06-17-2015 10:20 AM

JenniePenny interpreted my question correctly.

I am trying to find a part of a Huskylock 905 - which I understand is an excellent serger - but seems to have been discontinued.

Lori S 06-17-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7229670)
JenniePenny interpreted my question correctly.

I am trying to find a part of a Huskylock 905 - which I understand is an excellent serger - but seems to have been discontinued.

Good Luck finding parts. I had a Husky serger that I could not longer get parts for. It was a very heavy machne ran like a champ , but more than a nuisance to rethread. I finally gave up on ever getting the one tiny little part it needed. It was the only thing that ever broke in its 40 years of service. I guess its time was up.

eparys 06-17-2015 10:38 AM

:( I have a 936, which I love - it is a member of the same family. Has the dealer told you that the parts are no longer available?