Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pass-best-idea-youve-had-while-quilting-t102934.html)

Nanjun 02-26-2011 09:57 AM

I use a large coffee can for my scraps and threads. I covered it with a wide wall paper border. Helps a lot
in keeping sewing table clean.

nanna-up-north 02-26-2011 09:58 AM

I use an old drying rack when I'm working on a quilt that has a lot of strips to cut and stitch. I'll stack the same color and size strips on one spot and another color and/or size strips on another spot. It's so easy to grab just the right color and/or size. I used to pile them in a box and it would get all messy..... this is so much better

nanna-up-north 02-26-2011 10:01 AM

I don't have a fancy sewing table.... just a flat table for my machines, etc. I found a plastic storage unit that has shelves and rollers to put next to my table and machine. Then on top of the unit, I put an old silverware drawer. I put the most often used items in it and sewing is so much quicker..... I don't have to stop, get up, walk to where ever stuff is stored.

kellen46 02-26-2011 10:14 AM

[Very interesting. Are there any fumes that come off the plastic when you do this?[/quote]

A little but not enough to cause discomfort. I am chemically sensitive and cannot even stand the smell of any thing but unscented, but this does not bother me or trigger any of my alergies. I do sometimes use a pressing sheet made from an old pillowcase, but that is more to protect my iron and ironing board.

Bobbielinks 02-26-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by memepat
We travel alot and I like to quilt on the road. So I went to the local thrift shop and bought a lightweight wooden tray for $1.oo. Cleaned and spray painted it a bright color. I keep a project in the tray with pins, scissors, etc. When I come home I add or change items getting it ready for the next road trip. So when DH is ready to go I don't have to rush to find something to work on. I have the Omni box for traveling but the lid gets in the way. The tray sits great on your lap and when we get out I put the tray in my seat for when I get back in.

Love this idea.

Bobbielinks 02-26-2011 10:18 AM

The trays containing meat purchased at gorcery make a good small tray on which I lay my scissors, bobbins, seam ripper and needle package next to my machine when I'm piecing.

judykay 02-26-2011 10:49 AM

I take a picture of my blocks when laid out before sewing together with my digital camera. There are often times when I find a block either turned the wrong way or too much of one color in the same area. For some reason a picture lets you see something different than looking at it with only your eyes.

sewsalot 02-26-2011 11:04 AM

I use a daily pill box (Sun, Mon, and so on) to store my machine needles. I put a different size or type in each section, and label with a Sharpie.

KenZ 02-26-2011 11:25 AM

I save my salvage edges for use as plant ties in the garden.

sew_itnow 02-26-2011 11:47 AM

When I was making a lot of scrub tops for my daughter I would iron the iron on interfacing to the paper pattern and that way my pattern would last and I still had all the markings on my pattern and my pattern is still in good shape after many many many uses. :)