Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern and fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-fabric-t186519.html)

MaryStoaks 04-18-2012 08:23 PM

I love it! I squinted (blured my vision) and I could see the pattern clearly, it looks great!

GwynR 04-18-2012 08:40 PM

It's wonderful. I love the pattern and the colors!

maryellen2u 04-18-2012 08:52 PM

I think it is a lovely choice of fabrics and a great pattern. Did she choose the fabrics? I like what you've done!

QM 04-18-2012 09:27 PM

That looks good to me. For a quilt of that size, you want to avoid excessively challenging patterns so you have a chance of completing it in a reasonable amount of time. Try for really challenging quilts when you are a bit more experienced and comfortable with them.

hopetoquilt 04-18-2012 09:28 PM

If you had said to me that you were doing a quilt that was black and brown (only), I might caution to pick fabrics carefully so you didn't lose the design/pattern. You tossed alot of fabric with white background. That made ALL the difference. It looks incredible. I wouldn't change anything. Enjoy the process... oh and if you can chain piece for the 9 square blocks and then use the tube method for the HST to make it all go a bit faster and easier, especially based on the size of the quilt. It won't make the quilt look better. It will just make it go faster.

MacThayer 04-18-2012 11:48 PM

The quilt is beautiful as is, and I certainly said: WOW, when I saw it. I couldn't imagine how you were going to mix black and brown together, but you've done a gorgeous job of it, and are to be heartily congratulated. Don't worry about the size. I'd done several queen sized quilts, and was anxious when I did my first king. In fact, it turned out not much different than a queen, just a little bigger. You're doing a superb job of color selection and piecing. Don't let anyone tell you any different! And you've picked a lovely, varied pattern with constantly changing areas of interest due to pattern and color changes. It's brillant. I'll bet if you asked, your DIL wouldn't want a quilt that was so fancy and intricate that it "stole the show" and took all of the attention away from the other decorating in their master bedroom. I know I wouldn't. I went to a lot of trouble to decorate our master bedroom. I wouldn't want a "masterpiece" on the bed taking attention away from all my hard work. You are right to create a quilt with "Wow" factor, but not so complicated as to steal the whole show. A master bedroom should be be balanced, and encourage the eye to wander, rest in areas, and then continue to wander. Your quilt will allow for that.

Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself!

Cheers!

knlsmith 04-19-2012 12:13 AM

Love it a lot

redmadder 04-19-2012 03:15 AM

My timid suggestion. You might be happier using an hourglass block with the 9 patches when you go to the larger size.

nhweaver 04-19-2012 03:57 AM

I love the pattern and when I read black and brown I sorta of pictured something dark - this is lite and interesting. The blocks are small which I prefer I don't like the 12 x 12 blocks sometimes as they look sparse. You can jazz it up with the border if you find the end project too plain for you tastes. But this is a well designed and great color play project as it is. Great job!!!!

nabobw 04-19-2012 05:05 AM

It is beautiful You are always going go find someone that disagrees with your choice of fabric. Therefore go with what YOU like.